Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wet spring
10 April 2015, 19:25,
Wet spring
We are swamped here in my area.

While the news services concentrate on the drought in our western states, which have been deserts for the past 20,000 years, in my part of the world we have had 4-6 inches of rain in the past three days and no less than 3 inches per week since the snow stopped.

We have probably had a foot of rain in the past month.

I can not even walk through my garden, much less work the ground with a tiller.

The ground is so soggy that I can not even push a mower across the grass without leaving ruts.
11 April 2015, 08:29,
RE: Wet spring
I heard about the drought in California, and many of the reservoirs are very low. But you are right Mort, this is what you get for building cities in the Desert and then expecting Mother nature to conform to your plans. I wonder how long before that bastion of culture Las Vegas starts to feel the heat?
11 April 2015, 17:23,
RE: Wet spring
Vegas will hold out for a good long time.

They draw their water from Lake Meade which is formed by Hover Damn on the Colorado River and is fed by a separate source. We are talking a big huge river that runs smack through the middle of the desert. It is about a half mile wide and moves swiftly out of the mountains and 1000 miles down to the sea of Cortez.

What has really happened to the folk in California is not climate related beyond a slight reduction in snowfall in the southern Rocky Mountains, which is a normal cycle.

What happened was that they were forced to stop pumping from the Colorado River by our environmental agency to protect a small minnow that lived near the massive intake pipes. The existence of that minnow has eliminated about half the water supply that once fed the agricultural areas of southern California. So now pumps that only three years ago pumped millions of gallons daily to the residents of California sit dry and idle.

Anyone with half a brain and a calculator could have seen this coming three years ago when they blocked access to the water of the river.

The real problem is that the human condition has evolved into a race of people that can not remember what they had for breakfast, and surely can not remember a political move by Eco- terrorists three years ago.

This is a "created" drought being used to frighten the population into acceptance of climate change politics.