Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what would you grow
14 April 2015, 15:44, (This post was last modified: 14 April 2015, 15:47 by bigpaul.)
RE: what would you grow
(14 April 2015, 15:40)Devonian Wrote:
(14 April 2015, 13:09)bigpaul Wrote: we are too far inland to make sea fishing either sustainable or safe post SHTF and all the fish in our rivers are tiddlers, might be a few crayfish though.

You could always try dumping a few goldfish in a local lake.....

http://news.yahoo.com/3-000-goldfish-dum...54294.html

well there is "angling Eldorado" fishing lakes up the road, I know in the past there have been some big-and I do mean BIG- fish in those lakes.

http://www.anglers-paradise.co.uk
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 April 2015, 20:25,
Where I live Fish would be a major resource, I am spoilt for choice as we have lots of Gravel pits and a healthy river full of fish, and the Perch is one of the finest tasting fish around. Pike is a much overlooked food source that is far better tasting than Carp, you just have to be careful and remove those wicked "Pin" bones, they make excellent fish cakes when mixed with tatties and a few herbs mmmmmmm.
14 April 2015, 20:45,
so ok its now real , its not just you back garden or a strip of land from the council.

what do you do...this food is keeping you and yours alive

take over a farm ....you don't have to use it all.

knock down a few fences and make your back garden bigger

take over somebodys small holding [ lots of hard work already done]

join up with some like minded folk and hippy it out.
Survive the jive (youtube )
14 April 2015, 21:00,
No I am sorted.....all I do now is try to hang onto it all, now that is something very different...and my worst fear...... HOW ? do WE ALL do that one ?
14 April 2015, 21:15,
(14 April 2015, 20:45)Sunna Wrote: so ok its now real , its not just you back garden or a strip of land from the council.

take over somebodys small holding lots of hard work already done

There is no guarantee that you could do any of these and still stay live, so it's a risky approach and if you are not based at the site, your spinach and spuds may not be there when you want them.

And also what if the tables are turned and the hoard or even your neighbours decide that your own property and garden are more desirable than their own.....
14 April 2015, 22:49,
I do not think you can place a hard and fast rule down as to what one will do post event.

I would do this or I would do that is an unknown decision that will be made based on the conditions at planting time. And it will be Do I plant here or do I plant there?

The actions are going to be shaped by the event, by the survival rate, and by the remnant of TPTB.

As for the theft of your crops... If you are smart, as the harvest approaches you will be camping out in the middle of the patch guarding the harvest.
14 April 2015, 22:59, (This post was last modified: 14 April 2015, 23:04 by Steve.)
(14 April 2015, 21:00)Straight Shooter Wrote: No I am sorted.....all I do now is try to hang onto it all, now that is something very different...and my worst fear...... HOW ? do WE ALL do that one ?

I suppose the obvious answer is to try to disguise your crops. Neat rows will stick out like a sore thumb, but vegetables planted in a more random order amongst weeds or perhaps brambles might be better.

Even just mixing up different veg in the same plot might give the appearance of wild growth to the uninformed scavenger, and some veg look similar to weeds. For example, strawberries look similar to nettles ( until the fruits appear ), and edible carrots can hide well amongst many worthless weeds including Queen Annes Lace.

I'll bet most people wouldn't recognize a parsnip top, or indeed many other root veg.

(14 April 2015, 20:45)Sunna Wrote: so ok its now real , its not just you back garden or a strip of land from the council.

take over somebodys small holding [ lots of hard work already done]

Once again your strategy seems to involve stealing someones preps. I can't help but think that your confidence will be your downfall, you may well be young and fit, but an angry family with dogs and pointy things will ruin your day.
15 April 2015, 05:16,
If I can't bug-out to the farm and are stuck in the city (living in an apartment complex), then potatoes, pumpkins, tomatoes, leafy greens and herbs - all things I have now or have grown in the past, so know I can do in my situation. Of course, would also be foraging for other stuff from local market gardens, plus the various edibles that we find nearby (nettles, wild greens and pomelos spring to mind).
We also have rabbits at the moment, which we just feed whatever scraps we have + weeds that I pick up around the place. Hopefully the pair we have now will be multiplying this year. Also have a large river close by, so imagine should be able to get the odd fish or two.
15 April 2015, 07:34,
post SHTF it will depend on how many of your/our non prepping and non gardening neighbours survive....not many I'm thinking after a month or so. plenty of grass verges and small areas to grow crops on and close enough we can keep an eye on them. contrary to popular believe you don't need huge areas of land for personal crops and mini animals, depending on how large or small your "group" is that is.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 April 2015, 08:27,
Yep Steve / BP you can grow lots of stuff random and disguise it, which IS a part of my plans.....but the poly tunnel and greenhouses just says come on down there is food here...so these will have a make over .....falling to bits overgrown rips and tears. Jace get yourself some sprouting seeds....within 3 days their ready to eat ...the protein increases 5 to 7 hundred % in just three days...you will need water ....the good news is you are located in the right place to get the seeds , keep a few sacks in the flat and some water jacks ...Its something you can do EASY.