Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saws
21 April 2015, 18:36,
RE: Saws
(21 April 2015, 17:14)Straight Shooter Wrote: All good points MB and i agree, the point of the thread was having a good hand saw and the ability to maintain it...sharpen and set it, okay i have a bias because its part of my trade and training,but the bigger view would be to train someone to carry on the skill, even good quality saws will ware out, if you have ever tried using a blunt unset saw....that will give you the picture i am pushing here ..hard work and dangerous

Just turning this around slightly and getting back on topic, in your opinion, what is the best/ideal all round (hand) saw that we should all look to have as part of our preps?
21 April 2015, 19:28,
Aside from the assortment of buck saws and bow saws that were referred to as useless, I have a Stanley 24" carpenters crosscut saw which hangs in the shop.

I purchased it with the intent of building a house off grid. I can honestly saw that I have been there and done that and it did nor work! I bought my first generator on the third day of construction.

If God had intended us to build things without power he would not have created skill saws.

My most used manually powered saw is an assortment of hacksaws I keep on hand with various TPI blade sizes.

While others might store fuel and have a generator to keep up a lost lifestyle, I keep both fuel and generator to keep my power tools operating. I also have a 1500w inverter so I can use them off battery power from the solar bank if needed.
21 April 2015, 20:17,
I am most impressed with the Silky Zubat pruning saw, if I had to bug out I would take it in my bag. It's "workshop" equivalent is generally known as a Japanese or Jap Saw, but these have finer teeth and will clog on green wood. Stanley make a Jetcut saw with similar teeth ( pic below ) that would make a good cheap alternative to the Zubat.

These saws all cross-cut extremely well, however they are not easily sharpened and the lack of set means that they can jam in deep cuts, the angled tooth point means that they don't cut with the grain too well.

A robust general purpose saw that I also use at work is the Bahco 244, the blade is slightly thicker than the average hard-point saw, so you can use the tip in confined spaces ( like boats for example ).

Here's a pic of the teeth from the Jetcut, very similar to the Zubat.

https://www.jastimber.co.uk/images/pictu...large).jpg
21 April 2015, 20:25,
I will have a go at posting a picture of what I have DEV...but in the meantime , 3 PTI is about right...three points per inch felling and rip saw...single or two man operation ...i say this only in the context of building a shell for say a log cabin ( you will also need a good axe ) the ability to cut floorboards and window / door profiles and framing to a reasonable squareness because of the blade height and thickness plus the rigidity of the blade holding a truer cut.....bow saws will do...but not much control of precision ...the blades tend to be thin ...on a deep cut you have next to no control....the problem with my saw is its size...if you are say bugging out on foot you will struggle...its not practical at all...if however you had a cart ...or motor.. ideal ...a folding buck saw ..or a bow saw will be better . In passing it is possible to sharpen your bow saw blade held in a saw stocks...clamping the blade between two pieces of wood to hold the blade rigid while you file...this would apply to any straight saw blade. To recap ...if you have the luxury of carrying ...a good tool woodworking kit...hand tools only...the saw i have is a must have for me, however if your on foot wandering around looking for a safe haven semi permanent , hand held chain saw,bow or buck saw is the way to go for mobility and ease of carry ...in every case a GOOD AXE is a MUST HAVE.
21 April 2015, 20:45,
Zubat in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1U97q1OI5o
22 April 2015, 09:19,
for a general saw to cut timber or firewood I use an "Eclipse" general purpose saw similar to this one: http://www.uktools.com/eclipse-66xr-gene...58080.html for cutting branches or sticks for peas, beans, and other uses I use a folding pruning saw obtainable most everywhere and on ebay.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 April 2015, 16:04,
I do a bit of coppice work now and again and I really like the Silky Zubat, I can tackle pretty much any thing up to about 8'' diameter with that, and it is dam sight quieter than a chain saw.