Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saws
19 April 2015, 20:42,
Saws
Yes saws.....what saw have you got as part of your kit ...for felling trees... lets imagine you have found a great ideal location ...you have water....loads of trees..not a soul as far as you can see ...total 360 deg vision ...some wild life...great ground to work...you will need a cabin..okay you could use your axe but that will take longer and hard work, I have two american one man saws 4ft length of cutting blade with top additional handle to give max power of cut this handle can be moved to the front top edge of the blade to turn it into a two man saw if required...the saw can also rip down the grain or across the grain with ease and not forgetting a good file or three to sharpen it and a saw set to set it..fair enough i am a TS carpenter nothing to me...but for long term this type of saw is a must ...buck saws, bow saws , will get you there...... but will not last ...so what you got and why?
19 April 2015, 21:38,
RE: Saws
I've got several cheap modern throw away Irwin carpenters saw.

240v table saw; Chop Saw; reciprocating saw.

A decent foresters chain saw and several spare chains plus sharpening files.

A couple of bow saws.

But the best and most useful saws are my Bacho Lapland and Silky Pocket Boy

But no nothing really that suitable for building a log cabin, but then there are plenty of abandoned houses, barns, cow sheds etc which could probably far more easily (based on my skills!!) be converted??
20 April 2015, 11:12,
all hand saws, usual carpenters saw, a tenon saw, universal saws(supposed to cut everything from timber to concrete blocks!), bow saws, steel wedges(for splitting), 3 hand axes/hatchets.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 April 2015, 16:55,
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/cha...-e-series/

As a small holder I have a couple of chain saws on hand for general purpose work and actually consider my fuel stocks being saved for use in my power tools rather than to tool around in an automobile. Fuel for the saws, fuel for the tiller, fuel for the tractor. What sits in the tanks of the vehicles would keep me going for a couple of years.

I once attempted to keep my family warm using a cross cut saw and gave up almost instantly since the fires were consuming more than I had hours in the day to cut wood.

The chain saw cut that to 4 days work supplying a winter of fuel.

I have built cabins by hand before, but only when accompanied by a hand full of friends. We could put up a 10'x12' cabin in a weekend, stone pillars to roof using only axes and hand tools.

Alone, I would be hard pressed to get the logs up on the third run, set the rafters and be constantly climbing up and down the structure.

Which is another reason I own the caravan. Call me crazy but I'll bet there would be an abandoned caravan or trailer somewhere within dragging distance of your imaginary mountain top in you imaginary world where no one cares if you are building a cabin on their property.
20 April 2015, 17:00, (This post was last modified: 20 April 2015, 17:10 by bigpaul.)
I don't know what you call a caravan MB but in the UK these are a basic shell without much, if any, insulation, both the wife and I have lived in caravans(separately, before we met)not just for a few weeks in the summer, but over several winters and they are very cold nay freezing to live in, even with an interior fire/stove, I know many people who live permanently in them and its a sorry existence. fine in the summer but hell in the winter.

I'm not saying I wouldn't do it again, because I would, but I'm used to living like that, I don't believe many could do it and survive.

you ever heard the noise a chain saw makes? you can hear it miles away. not recommended post SHTF, people will know you have fuel.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 April 2015, 16:54,
Yes BP I own both a caravan and a couple of chain saws, so I know the caravan can get cold if not properly winterized and the chain saws make noise.

I lived in a caravan for one full year while building one house a decade ago and I lived in the one I own presently for 5 months from October to February, 6 years ago, while remodeling the home I now live in. Our winters are much more bitter than any you can imagine and I made it just fine. If course I winterized the caravan, sealed the cracks and installed underpinning to keep the wind from under the floor.

One thing I can assure you is that a caravan is much more pleasant than a drafty dirt floored shack cobbled together from trash or logs in a desperate attempt to attain shelter. It is also self contained and only needs the addition of a few solar panels and a battery bank to be completely self supporting. Kitchen, bathroom, Shower, 12V electrics all in one package.

As for the chain saw making noise??? Yes, I am aware that a chain saw makes noise.

Who cares???

Do you think that your presence is going to go unnoticed? Smoke from your fires will not be seen? That you are alive long after an "event" so you must surely have food? That your vehicle is moved now and then so you must have fuel?? That no one will see you out foraging, follow your footprints home from the river, or hear you cough, a mile away, in the middle of the night?

Spending all ones time miserably trying not to be found does not prepare one for the inevitability of eventually being found.

Throw another log on the fire and prepare to be found!
21 April 2015, 17:08,
yes I would think a caravan is more preferable to a shack or something similar MB. I lived in an old wooden gipsy caravan(no wheels, on blocks, on land owned by family) for most of the year for 12 years, paraffin stove, storm lanterns, washing in the river, drinking from the river, no electricity, and toilet was a hole in the ground, growing all my own food, and I loved every minute of it and would do it again tomorrow given half the chance. I'm just saying I don't think your average (British) sheeple could/would stand it for 5 minutes!!!I don't particularly like chainsaws-and I have a knee injury to prove it! Post SHTF I would prefer to keep noise to a minimum and cooking would be done at a time when the smoke wont be noticed. I don't know about the "inevitability of being found"...depends on the event, ones location and the survival rate dosent it?
21 April 2015, 17:14,
All good points MB and i agree, the point of the thread was having a good hand saw and the ability to maintain it...sharpen and set it, okay i have a bias because its part of my trade and training,but the bigger view would be to train someone to carry on the skill, even good quality saws will ware out, if you have ever tried using a blunt unset saw....that will give you the picture i am pushing here ..hard work and dangerous
21 April 2015, 17:37, (This post was last modified: 21 April 2015, 17:39 by bigpaul.)
I was shown how to sharpen a saw by an old boy in the place I worked...ooh about 40 years ago now. I tend to use a universal saw these days and I buy them at sunday markets and car boots several at a time...usually for about £2 each, I think I've got about half a dozen now and I will intend to buy a lot more when ever I see them for sale.

you can never have too many saws.........right??Big Grin
21 April 2015, 17:51,
damn right ! BP