Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rainfall
9 January 2012, 08:08,
Rainfall
2012 Has certainly got me focused on my preps. Ive been looking into bunkering in and not be able to get out and get water in a long term situation and the amount of water needed. If the mains are still on no problem, but, what if the supply was damaged and no supply.

Since the news of US troops deployed to isreal soon i now keep a silicone gun in the bathroom to seal the bath plug so i can fill the bath with water plus put a bead of silicone around the top so i can cover the water over.

With that and 4 x 100 litre water butts I estimate that i would have enough water for 40-50 days for 3 people at 5 litres each per day. But what about after that?. Living in east anglia it can get pretty dry at times during the year would the rainfall be able to resupply me im thinking not.

Which is why im now recording daily rainfall and putting it into my computer, also looking at finding collapseable water storage solutions to be able to store more water in a bunkering in situation.

UKS
9 January 2012, 09:27,
RE: Rainfall
I like your way of thinking. That's some good prepping!

You should be able to get that kind of data from the met-office. They'll have annual rainfall and the alike. Records should go back for years! But collecting your own gives much greater peace of mind.

I'm massively into Earthships, so I can help you out with some other things.

With 6" of rain a year you can sustain your family. You'll need to use EVERY drop of rainwater and put it into a storage tank. If you have a ^ shaped roof, you should channel the water from both sides into one massive tank. Further more, you can extend the length of your roof to gather more water. The same applies for your garage if it is seperate.

Don't forget about those fences! Water will be dripping down there! Gather that up and store it as well. I would probably purify that water too. Even the water that hits your windows can be collected with a little guttering, silicon, a ladder, and loads of fun.

Look into making solar stills. They allow you to recycle water and gather water from plant life. When I say recycle, yes I mean drinking what used to be wee. A plastic bag tied over a leafy tree branch will also gather water. It is a slow process, but apparently much better than solar still wee water.

Why not also look for a near by water source. I don't know much about East Anglia, but if there is an ocean nearby, you can drink sea water....kind of. Boil it first, then catch the steam as it dries out. I'd use a clean sheet, maybe a poncho, and let the steam condense underneath the 'catching' surface. Then the droplets will flow down the material and into what ever it is you are using to collect the water, profiding you angle the catching material right. Then wait for it to cool, and enjoy.

Also, using less water for your daily needs makes a huge difference! Fill a plastic litre bottle with water, seal it, and put it into the top of every toilet (the part you don't wee into). That will save you 1 litre of water per flush. Whatever you do, don't use a brick because it will slowly break down and clog your system.

Don't forget that growing juicy veg will help provide liquid to your bodies. Things like leuttice have so much water in them, you can crush them up for a nice juicy drink.

With washing, pass on showers and the alike. Use a wet sponge and catch any water you can. Then solar still that water and reuse it for washing.

There are so many things you can use to cut down the amount of water you use. Hope these few ideas help.
9 January 2012, 09:46,
In most parts of the UK finding water is not a problem, ponds, streams, rivers, canals, becks, reserviours, lakes, wells, roof catchment etc, But PURE water is a problem, A good filter is vital, something like a Berkfeld twin candle is paramount for most families.

9 January 2012, 10:35,
You can buy some brilliant off the shelf filtration systems. But it depends on how you want to use them.
9 January 2012, 10:44,
(9 January 2012, 10:35)Scythe13 Wrote: You can buy some brilliant off the shelf filtration systems. But it depends on how you want to use them.

Yup stuff like Katadyns are great for BOBS and back packing, and gravity filters like Berkfelds for home, vehicles and retreats

9 January 2012, 10:58,
Some great advice there. We have the katadyns for our bobs and the berkfields for the home but i was thinking about being bunkered in for a long time with without the chance to get outside to get the water? Maybe pump the water in some how?.
UKS
9 January 2012, 11:00, (This post was last modified: 9 January 2012, 11:06 by Scythe13.)
Dig a well, or have the land you live in checked for underground flows and stuff like that.
If you have a stream flowing under your garden, get a borehole dug and start pumping it up. It's not cheap to do, but if it's your only other options, go that way.

Have you thought about having a pond in your garden? Raise the sides up a little and you would be amazed how much extra water can be stored!!!
Fish you grow in the pond can make a pretty good protein source. You could even use it as a start to a permaculture garden.
9 January 2012, 11:18, (This post was last modified: 9 January 2012, 11:18 by NorthernRaider.)
(9 January 2012, 10:58)uks Wrote: Some great advice there. We have the katadyns for our bobs and the berkfields for the home but i was thinking about being bunkered in for a long time with without the chance to get outside to get the water? Maybe pump the water in some how?.
UKS

Windlass pumps can liet from over 150 ft deep???, you see em in most cowboy movies
(9 January 2012, 10:58)uks Wrote: Some great advice there. We have the katadyns for our bobs and the berkfields for the home but i was thinking about being bunkered in for a long time with without the chance to get outside to get the water? Maybe pump the water in some how?.
UKS

Windlass pumps can lift from over 150 ft deep???, you see em in most cowboy movies

9 January 2012, 12:36,
there isnt much chance of running out of water in the mild south west, our normal weather is rain, rain and more.........yes you've guessed it RAIN!!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
9 January 2012, 13:10,
There is usually enough water in the UK except in the middle of summer.

Consider some outdoor pools with covers, filter the water going in. You can use that for your gardens and it provides a supply for cleaning. These pools are cheap.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin