Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meet Chuckies 1-12...
25 April 2015, 19:48,
Meet Chuckies 1-12...
Yup...

I've decided to have some knife throwing fun, so I bought these - from the same place as that from which I got my new bootie knives, in fact. These are stainless steel, cute, around 5-6 inches long and love colliding with one another. Now, to get myself a nice slab of wood and, well...does anybody know of any Saints selling their patience; it would be most frightfully helpful at such times and knife chucking!

(Actually, I think these could be used, believe it or not, for fishing! Hard to say with all the optical distortion problem solving and hoping that you don't lose the one you're using in the current, etc.. Attaching a string while fishing with them might be helpful, but it's a pretty odd manner of catching fish.)

Ladies and Gentlemen...I give you Chuckies 1-12, in a roll up carrying pouch and they're really very dinky!

Ian.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sign on my back door: "Dear Burglar: Name anybody who will be looking for you beneath my floorboards!"
5 May 2015, 02:31,
RE: Meet Chuckies 1-12...
Finally...

It took me nearly 20 minutes of chucking my new chuckies before I could even get all 12 inside the same 7 inch circle. (Early successful hits were being (bang-by-bang) knocked back out by the impacts of the later throws.)

Also, 5-ply is not very good for practising on - it shreds the wood far too soon, and too little wood is left behind to keep a strong enough hold on the blades. (Lower circle in the picture!)

To do far better, I'm going to need some new/used railway sleepers and/or some roofing joists cut down - the noise will be less, during practise, also. The noise will drop considerably with those, also. I have a great neighbour and I'd sooner not bother her with the impact noises, which she's told me she hears, but is less then likely to bother her. I like to be a good neighbour, also, so I'll try to get those heavier target pieces.

I do think that survival can be made a little more likely for being well practised with knife-throwing - for hunting or for just slowing down somebody stalking you as you make our way somewhere. You get one of those blades in even just a leg and your stalker has some bleeding to stop, and they won't find it easy to continue to pursuing you with it still in place. That will slow them down, considerably. I also think that knife-throwing, with a great deal more practise, can be used for hunting and fishing - with limitations, naturally.

I'll know more when I get the heavier wood target materials, heavier (and more professional) knives and lots of hard practise.

Ian.

Sign on my back door: "Dear Burglar: Name anybody who will be looking for you beneath my floorboards!"
5 May 2015, 09:10,
Like everything else practice and practice some more. I was good at this when I was a kid but when I tried it again a few years ago I was hopeless.

I threw mine into straw bales to protect the blades.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
5 May 2015, 17:23, (This post was last modified: 5 May 2015, 17:25 by Mortblanc.)
I have always made my targets from slabed off sections of tree trunk. It is easier to stick the knives and there is no vibration or bounce, just a quiet thump.

Works great for throwing tomahawks too.

Sometimes you can get the slabs of tree trunk from trimming services, or if you are lucky after a big wind storm when the service crews are hard at work.
5 May 2015, 18:14,
Thanks, Guys...

Yep. Tree slices/slabs would be very nice and chuckie-friendly. I'd sooner have those than plywood.

Also, the idea of hay bales is good for the more expensive knives. I suppose the point is that, if practising knife throwing involves inter-knife impact, it just stands as par for the course, I suppose.

Thanks again, guys.

Ian.
21 May 2015, 10:58,
MORE PRACTISE!

I'm getting back into the swing of this knife-throwing, now. The picture shows many knives inside circles that are the size of the lid I took from a Smash mashed spud tub, and the circles are smaller.

It still took me a long time to get 3 in each of those used circles, though, with later knives banging into the wood and shaking out the earlier ones. I must get away from plywood. Somebody gave me some old wooden shelves that were going to be otherwise thrown away and the different between plywood and solid wood is amazing, but they won't last forever.

I wish I could get some joisting or cut-shorter railway sleepers.

As you can see in the attached picture, I've also got a mess to clean up, every few days.

TOMORROW, I should be taking delivery of 3 Gil' Hibben 8 inch throwers, from Blades UK (tend to buy knives only from there, to be honest, often because of how good he is to repeat customers) and I'll have to re-negotiate noise making terms with at least one neighbour, because those 3 Gil' Hibbens are heavier. I love a challenge, though.

Practise, practise, practise!

24 May 2015, 08:52,
NEW CHUCKIES! (I'm in love! Yeeehaaah!)

Yeah! Blades UK! (I've only just discovered that he has five pages of throwing knives! I've been going to him for years without realising it! Duuuhhh!)

They're "Gil Hibben" "Next Generation" Throwers.

DEETS:

>>> 8 inches long.
>>> 3 Pieces.
>>> £45 for the three.
>>> 3/16ths thick.
>>> Approx 12 ounces.

Tempered stainless steel.

I happily recommend them to you, but you'll need SERIOUSLY heavy wooden targets, unless you're going to use hay bales, as mentioned earlier in the thread, which is a great idea, actually. These chuckies are much heavier than my training blades and I am not at all comfortable, just yet, with the increase in (1) size, (2) weight and (3) aerodynamics, but I WILL BECOME COMFORTABLE! I'm not giving this up!

Even if the point wasn't about to sink into me, I'd really hate to have one of these heavyweight things coming at me through the air! Sheeesh! When I hit a piece of "decking", the piece of decking split in two and that piece had to be thrown away! JEEEEEEZ! I love a challenge!

The problem is...I need to get much heavier, more floor-stable target wood because these things hit with the force of a light hammer blow! I'll get used to them once I get that better weight/density/securedness of target/s. It's at times like this that I wish I lived next door to a lumber yard, because I need roofing joist wood or railway sleepers and I have a lot of trouble getting to things, and getting things to me.

Recommended, guys, but make sure you have plenty of time to practise with them!

Ian.