Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying New to Recycle
5 May 2015, 19:58,
Buying New to Recycle
This probably sounds bonkers, but bear with me. I collect jam jars, glass jars and anything that has a possible storage use. I make our own jam, conserve, cordials and hedgerow wine. Well, I have discovered that OH has a penchant for a particular beer that comes in those lovely bottles with the porcelain stopper - remember tizer and all those other fizzy goodies? Those bottles are brilliant for storing liquids - think elderberry champagne or homemade cordials - and best of all you can replace the rubber seals if they wear out. I make no apologies for encouraging OH to indulge himself on occasion, and I pounce gleefully on the bottle before it hits the recycling bin. Then it occurred to me that carefully choosing what to buy with a view to recycling something was quite a practical way to shop, not to mention tye potential savings to me made on storage items.

So now I head for glass jars with nice stoppers (Douwe Egbert do a lovely one and it's half price Morrisons or FarmFoods if anyone is interested), and jam jars that have replaceable lids like the Bonne Maman range. You might pay a little bit extra to start off with, but the future savings would certainly make it worthwhile in sheer practicability.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
5 May 2015, 20:36,
RE: Buying New to Recycle
There is a brand of lemonade that comes in those stoppered bottles, just in case you have a crisis of conscience over "forcing" your OH to drink all that beer!

Home brew shops sell those kind of bottles but, amazingly, it can actually be cheaper to buy one with product in it, consume the product as you say, and keep the bottle.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
5 May 2015, 21:18,
This made me laugh, same wave length, we have boxes full of jars for jam and pickles and bottles for cordials and home brew, though I do tend to do my elderflower and lime flower champagnes in recycled plastic lemonade bottles after a particularly close call with a bottle explosion, easier to ease the pressure if it is a bit too lively.
5 May 2015, 21:22,
T-Oddity, I know what you mean about explosions! We have a few funny family stories about Grandmother's ginger beer plant concerning the fire brigade and controlled explosions! But then she was a woman of excesses!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
5 May 2015, 22:15,
I made some nettle beer ....15 years ago....same type bottles... put them in the shed and forgot them for about 4 to 5 years ...having a clean out ....old lou was helping....very partial to refreshments lou aye aye what,s this then! as he pulled out the full grate ..covered by old dust sheets...."oh i forgot them" i say ...what do they taste like?.....try one....and find out...after 3 he gave me his expert opinion ...it sounded like their very good....I have a friend that works in catering she brings me loads of glass jars, got loads of them...and them Douwe Egberts jars i use for my dehydrator stuff.
6 March 2017, 17:29,
Last summer Aldi were selling a lemonade in that type of bottle,litre size I think
8 March 2017, 17:21,
My wife and I are hoarders of Mason canning jars. We store dry foods (rice, beans, corn meal, etc.) in them since I've never met a mouse or rat yet that could chew a hole in glass. We've purchased most of our mason jars at garage sales, although Classico Spaghetti Sauce is packaged in a canning jar.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!