Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic old tools
23 August 2015, 20:11, (This post was last modified: 23 August 2015, 20:17 by Mortblanc.)
RE: Basic old tools
Building rustic is a choice. Not one I would make, but that is up to you.

I have built several cabins at historic sites, using only the tools available before 1800. In fact, I helped build two frontier stockades complete with interior cabins.

What takes six weeks alone with hand tools can be accomplished in one week by two men with power tools.

But that is up to you.

The work is so tedious that at one historic site, where we had a palisade and 15 cabins to construct on a time sensitive building permit, we actually cut and notched logs at home with power tools and transported them to the site, where they were assembled using hand tools.

In todays word most of the cabin corners are notched and then drilled and spiked together, and the chimneys are lined with fireproof tiles, even on historic sites, due to local building and fire ordinances.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Re...ennes.html

http://www.historicmartinsstation.com/

I worked both of theses sites back in the 1980s-1990s.

It is almost impossible to do the same now due to our environmental restrictions and insurance and building codes.

Open fireplaces, wood shingle roofs, no legitimate foundation (cabins were balanced on piers of stone), no way these places are going to pass building code inspections.
23 August 2015, 21:57,
S13, you'll be sorry if you rely on a bow saw, they don't cut straight, especially if you are trying to cut a log at an angle. The problem is the thin unsupported blade which twists and goes off course. Find yourself a broad crosscut saw with coarse teeth and a generous set.

Something like this:

http://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk/acat...t_Saw.html
23 August 2015, 22:45,
Nice one, thanks Steve
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
23 August 2015, 23:16,
Yep that,s the very one you need S....i have two...one for each hand ....lol
24 August 2015, 03:39,
My experience is that one can purchase a good used chain saw cheaper!

But I am old and have a bad back and no desire for continued pain.
24 August 2015, 09:01,
The thing is MB .....when the younger fit ones want to learn the old skills....they should be encouraged to do so......pick up the watering can and wash over that enthusiastic need for knowledge they reach out for....geet with the programme old timer ....its about old farts like us passing on the stuff they will surely have a need for .
24 August 2015, 09:11,
we wont all have generators and solar panels and wind turbines, once TSHTF many will have to use basic hand tools, the time to buy these and start learning to use them is NOW not after.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.