Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bugging Out Of The UK
4 July 2015, 14:46,
RE: Bugging Out Of The UK
if someone had a specific place to go to, like relatives in another country, or maybe you could emigrate..legally... otherwise there is an old prepper saying "never become a refugee" (as in no suitable place to go, just wandering about hoping to find somewhere "safe").
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 July 2015, 15:28, (This post was last modified: 4 July 2015, 15:38 by Midnitemo.)
Scythe its a forum...where thing's are up for discussion and if a question is posed that I think in my opinion isn't generally feasible am I supposed to sit on my hands and ignore it or say what I think? if you start censoring alternate belief's cos there not convenient then the forum is fekked you just become another faculty of the media pushing your own take on things.

the question was asked how would you leave the uk if things got to bad , almost all the respondents replied I wouldn't or there are limited reasons why I would but the risk is so small I haven't even thought it through....so the conscensus is we as a group in the main wouldn't and reasons have been put forward why...so why flog a dead horse and by deleteing these responses you would ruin the thread for people who come along to read it after.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
4 July 2015, 16:43,
(4 July 2015, 15:28)Midnitemo Wrote: Scythe its a forum...where thing's are up for discussion and if a question is posed that I think in my opinion isn't generally feasible am I supposed to sit on my hands and ignore it or say what I think? if you start censoring alternate belief's cos there not convenient then the forum is fekked you just become another faculty of the media pushing your own take on things.

the question was asked how would you leave the uk if things got to bad , almost all the respondents replied I wouldn't or there are limited reasons why I would but the risk is so small I haven't even thought it through....so the conscensus is we as a group in the main wouldn't and reasons have been put forward why...so why flog a dead horse and by deleteing these responses you would ruin the thread for people who come along to read it after.

Agreed!

The forum benefits from a light touch with regards to moderating, lets not start making threats with regards to censorship/unnecessary moderation.

And if we had done as S13 suggested, this particular thread would have been dead in the water a long time ago, rather than us having had the benefit of a more vibrant and wide ranging discussion on the issue as a whole, which has included the reason not to leave the country.
4 July 2015, 17:24,
Scythe - a couple of points. If you look at the original post the question was not "How to leave the UK" as you state. The question was "What's your game plan".

The OP also posited that we were out of the EU and visas were required for entry into
the schengen area. Which effectively means No exit from the UK without a Visa. No France, no Netherlands, No belgium. I don't know of any other exit routes from the UK unless you have private plane or boat which none of us have.

If I HAD to leave the UK which I don't believe I will ever have to ---- its easier to survive in your own culture --- where to scrabble for food etc etc. ---- I would get a visa and drive to Netherlands or Denmark.

Finally with regard to what constitutes an answer on the forum --- You may frame the question but you certainly will not frame my answer - my answer is my answer.

Tally Ho
4 July 2015, 19:48,
Lack of moderation is the reason there are only 6 people here, and I have one of them on ignore!

The real question should probably be reworded to;

"What is your plan for exit when you finally realize you should have left to a former British colony half way around the world 6 months ago when you had the chance?"

What is the difference between you sitting here saying "I can never see that happening in GB!" and all the "sheeple", as you call them, sitting there and saying "I can never see that happening in GB." ?

The replies to this question have been exactly what a non-prepper would have presented.
4 July 2015, 21:16,
Loads of interesting replies, but I have to ask this question.... have any of you folks actually lived in a foreign country? I don't mean a few months on a student visa, I mean actually settled in and become a resident?

I'm curious because replies seem to be split into two camps - one side stating that they would not think to leave the UK in any event, and the other side advocating a swift departure to foreign climes.

Having lived in several "foreign" countries in my life in peacetime, I can only say that you do become an immigrant, even if you think that the Brits rule the world, and not every country and its residents is a friendly place. Since it is unlikely that a major event would hit only the UK, just how do you think you would be received in a foreign country as an immigrant, refugeee or whatever escapees are called? I suspect it would not be with kindness. You are lucky if you are received well in peaceful times, and some countries are not generally welcoming. Bugging out of the UK might seem a possible option, but your "welcome" might not be what you expected or hoped for.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
4 July 2015, 21:58,
MaryN is absolutely correct. Unless you are fluent in the language and understand the culture, having trustworthy family, friends or an employment connection, relocating to another country is difficult. Brit expats fit in well in most of the US, Canada or Australia where there is much shared language, values and culture, but you would need to plan ahead with a plane ticket and something more than a student or tourist VISA. A rowboat across the Channel doesn't seem viable to me. Forty years ago I might have considered a move elsewhere, if the job encouraged nd supported it, but no way I would consider it today as a retiree without family and support system in the new country.

As Dorothy said in The Wizard of Oz, "There's no place like home!"

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
4 July 2015, 22:19,
Well said Mary. But even then it's not even on a Country by Country level that such problems exist.

Look at the Welsh Nationalists burning the homes of the English who move into the area.

Also down here in the South West, there is already a lot of resentment amongst locals about the high numbers of Londoners and others from the South East who are choosing to relocate to the South West, and that is in the good times.

In a foreign country, survival during times of adversity will be far more complicated and difficult than it ever would be in a community 'where you belong' and from which you originate.
5 July 2015, 00:07,
RS, you make a fair point. The post was about if you have to leave, how would you and do you have a plan for it. I don't think it mentioned the option for staying put.

Have I lived somewhere as a resident outside the UK. No. But My sister, 2 cousins, my grandparents, my father, and a whole load of friends have. They're all doing pretty well for themselves. Maybe it just depends on where you go and your character as a person?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
5 July 2015, 09:43,
OK, if I absolutely had to leave the UK in a civil disorder scenario - assume normal transport is not running - I would pack my van with my most useful stuff, drive the 3 miles to work, load it onto a yacht and sail to Ireland. 3 days around the Irish coast gets me to my wifes family. If sea transport is still running then I could drive the van to the car ferry at Fishguard, 12 miles away.

No way would I be trying to enter France and be getting locked up with loads of desperate migrants, they'd cut my throat for my boots.