Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
meds
24 July 2015, 19:36,
RE: meds
With things like Amoxicillin, Amoxicillin is Amoxicillin regardless of whether or not it is human grade or animal grade and yes it will be made in the same factories, on the same production lines etc.

Also when it comes to the shelf life of meds, I really wouldn't be too concerned, the use by dates are usually arbitrarily chosen by the drug companies, they of course do not want they drugs sitting on the shelf for years, they want you to throw them away and buy some more!!

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx%3Fid=44979

BP does raise a valid concern though with regards to the purchase on meds over internet, are you really getting what you think you are getting?
24 July 2015, 23:29,
My wife was a medical technician in the Army and one of her jobs was testing the potency of medications in use.

She claimed that she had tested the powdered Amoxicillin and had never found a container, no matter how old (some of it 20-30 years old) that was not still at full strength in its powdered form. Shelf life did not begin until it was mixed and bottled.
24 July 2015, 23:50,
(24 July 2015, 23:29)Mortblanc Wrote: My wife was a medical technician in the Army and one of her jobs was testing the potency of medications in use.

She claimed that she had tested the powdered Amoxicillin and had never found a container, no matter how old (some of it 20-30 years old) that was not still at full strength in its powdered form. Shelf life did not begin until it was mixed and bottled.

Yes that's my understanding and it applies to all tablet/capsule/powdered meds. Not sure about liquid meds for injection, they may be different??
25 July 2015, 08:09,
On a slightly "doomer" note, if the rule of law collapses then chemists and vets are going to get raided by the stoners, there will probably be antibiotics lying all over the shop - no stoner is going to steal them. Even if the premises are intact, you'll likely find an employee who will swap you a load for a bag of rice.
25 July 2015, 08:48,
depends on the situation, one of the reasons I prep is so I don't have to put myself and mine at risk trying to get in supplies during a riot of looting, nothing is worth giving up my life for.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 July 2015, 10:56,
(25 July 2015, 08:09)Steve Wrote: On a slightly "doomer" note, if the rule of law collapses then chemists and vets are going to get raided by the stoners, there will probably be antibiotics lying all over the shop - no stoner is going to steal them. Even if the premises are intact, you'll likely find an employee who will swap you a load for a bag of rice.

I'm pretty sure most of the pharmacies operate on a similar model to the supermarkets and the amount of stock held is minimal, so I wouldn't count on there being anything left worth scavenging after any looting has taken place. Better to get things in place before hand if possible.
25 July 2015, 11:50,
(25 July 2015, 10:56)Devonian Wrote: I'm pretty sure most of the pharmacies operate on a similar model to the supermarkets and the amount of stock held is minimal, so I wouldn't count on there being anything left worth scavenging after any looting has taken place. Better to get things in place before hand if possible.
goes for anything,not just meds.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 July 2015, 16:23,
(25 July 2015, 10:56)Devonian Wrote:
(25 July 2015, 08:09)Steve Wrote: On a slightly "doomer" note, if the rule of law collapses then chemists and vets are going to get raided by the stoners, there will probably be antibiotics lying all over the shop - no stoner is going to steal them. Even if the premises are intact, you'll likely find an employee who will swap you a load for a bag of rice.

I'm pretty sure most of the pharmacies operate on a similar model to the supermarkets and the amount of stock held is minimal, so I wouldn't count on there being anything left worth scavenging after any looting has taken place. Better to get things in place before hand if possible.

Around here the common generic, non-narcotic prescription meds are kept in one gallon plastic jars.

One of those gallon jars of my heart maintenance meds would keep me alive for a decade!

The stoners are going after habituates, oxycodone and morphine based meds and will not be interested in the blood pressure and cholesterol reducing supplies, nor most of the other meds required to maintain normalcy for those of us only slightly bent out of shape.

Meds are the one thing I would go to town to seek out when TEOTW arrives.

prior to that occurrence I will fall back on the stocks I have built up over the years.
25 July 2015, 17:04,
under no circumstances am I putting myself or mine at risk during a WROL rioting event, if someone MUST have something, get it in NOW before the event, not after, that's the whole point of prepping so we can hunker down and ride out the madness that WILL happen in a societal collapse, putting oneself at risk in those circumstances is madness and stupidity and is the last resort of the unprepared.