Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vehicle tax
28 July 2015, 08:31,
RE: Vehicle tax
when you get your car taxed, print off the receipt if you do it online, or get the receipt from the Post Office as I do, keep that in a prominent place then you will have a reminder of when it is due next time, or simply mark it in your diary or on your calendar.....simples!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 July 2015, 15:57,
Our system is slightly different, but shares the taxation point.

Notifications and records are all computerized. They send us a bill. We pay the bill and receive an adhesive sticker that is glued to our metal "license plate" which is mounted on the bumper.

The sticker is reflective, a different color for each year, and highly visible so the police have instant reference for paid taxes.

One can exceed the speed limit, run the occasional traffic light, make illegal lane changes and spin the wheels now and then and get away with it, but if you do not have that tax sticker on your plate you are going to get pulled over and ticketed.
29 July 2015, 11:28,
"Someone I know" is currently working as a contract driver for the DVLA, uplifting vehicles from people who haven't paid their fine for having no tax. The pound where they take the cars is conveniently situated next to a large car auction. If they don't pay the (increased) fine within 14 days, they take the car round the corner to the auction!
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
30 July 2015, 06:42,
Perhaps the pound was there first and the auction is the one taking advantage of the situation.
31 July 2015, 02:48,
Adding to what Mortblanc said, many US states, in addition to a sales tax on new vehicles, assess an annual "personal property tax" based on the depreciated value of motor vehicles, caravans, pleasure boats, farm equipment, etc. On my 15 year-old Jeep this amounts to about $85/ year, in addition to the vehicle license fee. The police have licence plate scanners which can check thousands of vehicle plates daily as they drive around, cross-checking real time by computer data link for anything from BOLOs for bank robbers to unpaid property tax. Even in a neighboring state you are not safe, for if you owe tax in Virginia and are scanned in Pennsylvania, you will be ticketed and if the amount us sufficient, the vehicle seized until the amount is paid. The state catching the scofflaw then gets a kickback from the tax recipient, and of course, that gives all the more incentive to catch more.

The best loophole is a beat-up pickup truck with Farm Use placard and no tags. It can only be driven in your county of residence, but you keep your tax receipt with you and can just tell the city cops to go bugger off!

THAT is why I drive a 15 year old Jeep.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
31 July 2015, 23:12, (This post was last modified: 31 July 2015, 23:15 by Mortblanc.)
My "good car" sets me back a bit but the 1997 Jeep only costs $50 in taxes and fees per year and $400 for insurance. That is one reason it keeps its road plates, plus I am in one of those places where to get there from here I have to leave my county no matter where I go. I cut across the corner of the next county just to get to the village 2 miles down the road that is in my own county.

My state is a bit different from WVA in that we can use the farm use placard for 5 miles radius from home, not all over the county.

I have often thought of getting a quad for close by trips but they cost as much as a good used car, are cold in our long winters and are a pain to maintain.

My greatest gripe is the gap we have in my state where the micro-cars are not recognized as road vehicles and can not be licensed for on road use.

I would buy one of those tomorrow if I could put it to road use.

I can drive a freekin' golf cart on the back roads but not a koi-car.
4 August 2015, 01:02,
We have a neighbor here who drives a hot-rodded riding lawn mower into town to buy beer since his driving licence was revoked. It has on it a flashing light and one of those triangular reflectors they use to warn motorists of slow moving farm equipment. A sheriff's deputy friend affixed to it one of those bumper stickers which says "I Cruise Without Booze," which are required of drivers on probation for previous drink driving convictions. I have been assured that if he is caught riding his lawn mower or bicycle while intoxicated he will, as they say in the Monopoly game:

"Go to Jail, Go Directly to Jail, Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200."

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA