Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Fun Scenario
26 July 2015, 16:05,
Winter Fun Scenario
With this year being El Nino, we could well be looking at a gloriously hot, or cold, winter. Summer has been more than bizarre! Even myself and Sunna would agree on this matter. So what about for winter? If it's a really hot winter, no issue. We all live and get on with a very late Autumn, leading to a very early Spring. Maybe we get a month of cold, but nothing more. Oh dear (please note the sarcasm).

Now, what about if we end up with a perfect storm of crap cold weather? I'll put this through as 3 scenarios to answer. Please answer in the format:
1. I would…..blar blar.
2. I would…blar blar.
3. I would Blar Blar.
4. I would Blar blar.
Please note, If you do literally just answer saying blar blar, then you're retarded (this will catch out all the people whom answer a thread before reading it properly). Oh and if you think, Scythe13, you idiot, you said 4 scenarios, but answered 4, the forth scenario is your answer to what you would do if all 3 happened at once! So let's get read for the fun. Temperatures have dropped to well below freezing, there's constantly a few feet of snow on the ground, and thankfully your roof is holding up. Worst of all, it's only mid December, and it's forecast to be the same through Jan and Feb.

1. Water system Shutdown.
With the weather being as cold as it is, a load of water pipes have cracked all over the country, and massive areas have been shut off and left without water. Baths have been banned (like a hosepipe ban). Showers are allowed, but good luck getting water for that. You're lucky to even fill the kitchen sink with the mere trickle that is literally bleeding the water pipes dry. What do you do?

2. Gas system Shutdown.
With the weather this cold, there's a massive uptake in the gas use for every home in the UK, and the government is needing to import a load more gas. Only issue is, you have about 1 more day of gas, and at least a week without gas, before more is brought in. So what can you do? No central heating! No hot water! Nothing to cook on! Think about those long cold nights. All that food and water stored in the loft that will freeze, expand, break it's seal, and leak in the spring. What do you do?

3. Electric System Shutdown.
Well, that crazy man preaching about power outages, yes that's right, our own BigPaul, turns out to be correct. As it turns out, increasing a countries use of electricity, while decreasing it's production, isn't sustainable. Because winter is so vicious, everyone is buying those in home electrical heater things. They've been a treat…but now they've caused electricity shortages worse than expected. Whole regions of the country have been shutdown without power. Some of the more rural areas have been out of power for a few weeks, so the odds of your home getting power within 2 weeks is looking slim. TPTB are getting old power stations up and running, but they could take a month until fully operational. What would you do?

Scenario 4…read above, stop being a silly goose. Bang Bang Bang! Stuff's really gone wrong now.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 July 2015, 17:21,
RE: Winter Fun Scenario
I think the first thing I'd do would be to move a significant amount of coal inside the house, it's just too important to leave outside, even though I'm out in the sticks. I have a lot of water stored in IBC containers, but they would freeze so I'd arrange them around a small fire, probably my garden chiminea as it burns very cleanly and makes hardly any smoke. The water that I could get out would be filtered through the berkefeld and stored near enough to the stove that it didn't freeze. All cooking could be done on the solid fuel stove or on the LPG stove, which runs from a 1200ltr tank. Propane is good down to way below zero. I think I'd try to conserve the propane, it burns so clean I could use it in daylight, whereas the coal and wood smokes when first lit. Propane might make steam, I don't know, in which case we'll cook at night and keep a meal warm in the haybox for daylight eating.

I think I would sheet off the top half of the house and live downstairs, we have all we need downstairs and it would save fuel. The toilet should still work, but if the external pipes froze up we'd have to empty empty a pot into the soakaway manually.

Battery powered radio and books by candle light would provide entertainment. If it looked like a long haul I'd rig up some LED lights from vehicle batteries.
26 July 2015, 20:11,
I'm moving in with Steve!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
26 July 2015, 20:40,
(26 July 2015, 20:11)MaryN Wrote: I'm moving in with Steve!

Big Grin

We have some holiday homes close by, I'd much prefer them to be occupied by preppers than random refugees.