Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could you carry out?
1 August 2015, 12:03,
Could you carry out?
Simple scenario, but think about it.

You wake up in the night, startled by a loud beeping sound. Sound like a fire-alarm. Good job you changed the fire alarm batteries like SS reminded us recently. Yes, it's a fire. You can tell because you smell smoke. You try to wake your other half whose asleep next to you. They won't wake up.

You need to get out the house and get them out too.

From your bedroom, could you safely exit your home if there was a fire downstairs. Note, you don't know how bad the fire is. You just know it's the middle of the night and you need to get out.

No matter what you try, you can't wake them.

What do you do?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
1 August 2015, 18:17,
RE: Could you carry out?
I have considered this problem and I have a long rope in the closet. You tie the rope to the subjects' feet and run outside with the other end where you tie that to the bumper of the car. You then drive 50-75 feet until they pop out the front door.

Problem solved.

Another alternative is to insure you only hook up with slender women who are easily transported.

Or if you appreciate larger women, buy a fork lift.
1 August 2015, 19:52, (This post was last modified: 1 August 2015, 19:54 by MaryN.)
From my own point of view with the OH? - strip off whilst waving a bacon buttie under his nose. That should do the trick.

There's no way I'm going to try and drag him out - he's a lot bigger than I am!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
1 August 2015, 22:16,
I am surprised that so many people have read this and so few have responded. But Mary and MB, good input, and it leaves something to consider.

For me, I am more than happy to shoulder the wife and carry her out. The other way round…not doable. So we've discussed tying a rope around my feet and her dragging me out down the stairs, if it's an option. If dragging me out is not an option, then we've said about covering me with fire blankets and water, then hoping someone else can get to me in time. The only other option is the window, and that'll be putting her life at risk, trying to haul me out. Her safety is first on both of our lists. For me, if I can't get me out, then it'll be up to another big strong guy to get me out.

Having said that, the more we look into it, the more options we see. It'll be one of the things for us to work around and sort a way out. Ideas forming as we speak!
1 August 2015, 22:48,
(1 August 2015, 22:16)Scythe13 Wrote: I am surprised that so many people have read this and so few have responded. But Mary and MB, good input, and it leaves something to consider.

I live alone, so it's not an issue (most nights...)
2 August 2015, 13:23,
As it happens, as I write I am about to go and get my ladder to measure my house for new double glazing.
My father bought the original double glazing back when we had an empire lol.
He chose all the windows with only top fan-lights so there would be very little chance of getting out via that route.
The new windows have wide side opening windows and I know I will be able to get people out by the windows in the new glazing.
I'd rather extend as far as I can and let them drop with the chance of a broken bone than to let them burn.

WHB
2 August 2015, 17:05,
if the whole of the ground floor was alight, probably not. could get out landing window and drop onto (wooden) garage roof, or bedroom window and drop onto leanto sun room roof-which would probably splinter, neither of the last two would be particularly easy for us.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
2 August 2015, 17:09, (This post was last modified: 2 August 2015, 17:10 by Mortblanc.)
Scythe, the next time you discuss this with the wife pay close attention.

Is she nodding and smiling and answering "yes dear" while reading her magazine and sipping her drink.

She's going to let you burn and collect the insurance!

It's already planned and she probably already has matches and petrol ready.
2 August 2015, 18:19,
Number 1.....always have your mobile by your bedside
2. Have a plan in place NOW .....HOW TO
3. Always have a hammer in ALL bedrooms
4. If you smell smoke and you hear crackling of the fire outside your bedroom door...DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR ! the stair well is ablaze....use the hammer on the window ( if double glazed aim for the corners ...not the middle of the unit )pull the blankets down to the floor ...grab the two corners of the under blanket together and pull oh onto the other blankets that are on the floor slide to the window ...its a short distance to try and lift to the window....not recommended if your on the twenty second floor ! I MUST EMPRESS ON YOU how fast fire is.....its very very fast ! ....in this scenario of S13,s you have four mins at most ! i like the rope idea BUT by the time you get out start the car ...tie the rope ....you will be to late..... believe me.
2 August 2015, 19:44, (This post was last modified: 2 August 2015, 19:45 by Scythe13.)
Great info SS. Nice one.

Been discussing this with the OH while walking the dogs. Always good to carry a BOB or GHB while walking the dogs.

For us, the OH would struggle to get me out the window. We've worked out if she was to lay on her back on the floor and use her legs to push me, she could move me but it wouldn't be practical. So we've gone along the lines of get me lay up against the wall in a seating position, under the window. Strap over my body, under my arms so that she can lift me up to the window pretty easily, in a squat like motion. The with me being at the window height, throw me out and onto the kitchen roof. I'm outside, and away from the immediate threat. Then it should be simple enough from there. It just means keeping a strong strap-loop in the bedroom now. Thank goodness for climbing gear! haha. Speaking of which, strap a helmet to my head incase I just roll of the roof. It won't make a difference if I land on my face off the roof, but if I hit the side of my head…good helmet!