Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHTF while you're on holiday
6 August 2015, 03:19,
RE: SHTF while you're on holiday
If those 5000 refugees in Challis were Haitians or Mexicans they would have already paddled over to the UK, had a job and sent their first money home to their families!
6 August 2015, 11:19,
The channel may be a few miles but it is a rough few miles and bear in mind that many of these immigrants die on the trip. Plus the biggest issue is the travelling to get there. Stealing a boat is probably the easiest part of the trip. Avoiding people less so.

It is my opinion that being caught abroad in a SHTF scenario with the lack of kit, unfamiliarity with the culture means you are unlikely to make it home.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
6 August 2015, 11:49,
the channel is also one of the most heavily used waterways in the world, trying to cross it in a small boat is fraught with danger if not impossible especially if your not an experienced sailor.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 August 2015, 13:10,
And lets not forget about the ever so slight difference in water temperature between the Caribbean and the English Channel.

Swimming or floating across on tyres or rafts really is not going to end well.
6 August 2015, 15:00,
Devonian, Good point. Why didn't I mention it? No idea. I was fixated on stealing a boat rather than a rubber ring.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
6 August 2015, 17:29,
I think you are probably correct, that difference in culture will probably kill you,

You should all stay at home and have your food and other necessities delivered to the house.
6 August 2015, 17:35,
yep, most supermarkets do a home delivery service, didn't you know MB?? well they do in the UK.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 August 2015, 20:00,
If you don't have to go out to work you could live without leaving your house. This is why people have died here and it has been years before the bodies have been found. Still a few waiting to be found and in this society more are gone without being missed at all.

At least when I go the kids will be there within hours to find out why the funding stopped. Smile No cats eating my face, no sirree..
Skean Dhude
6 August 2015, 22:39,
There are thousands of boats in coastal harbours that would have no problem at all crossing the channel. If you could get hold of a few gallons of diesel and a compass you'd be in with a good chance.

Remember, small boats made the crossing loaded with soldiers and under attack from the Luftwaffe.
6 August 2015, 23:23,
(6 August 2015, 22:39)Steve Wrote: There are thousands of boats in coastal harbours that would have no problem at all crossing the channel. If you could get hold of a few gallons of diesel and a compass you'd be in with a good chance.

Remember, small boats made the crossing loaded with soldiers and under attack from the Luftwaffe.

Boats are of course an option, but swimming and using tubes as MB alluded too would be farcical across the fast flowing; rough and freezing waters of the English Channel.