Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sagging
9 August 2015, 20:09,
RE: Sagging
This is my EDC, plus my phone which I used to take the photo.

[Image: 20150809_195158_zpsnpfqqtn3.jpg]

I don't carry a lighter; survival card; or water bottle, but everything else you've mentioned including plasters, pain killers, anti-histamines, an SD Card etc are all in there.
9 August 2015, 20:13,
I wear suspenders to hold my heavily loaded cargo pants up. When I was working a few people would give me a hard time about the stuff I carried in my pockets. I believe it is import to always have basic gear the same way you carry your wallet. It is always on your person, because it is important. Either you are “prepared” or you are not. I was detailed to the office of emergency management doing damage assessment and emergency response much of the time. So my pocket gear went everywhere. It was part of being professionally prepared for the job.

Now that I am retired I still carry this stuff, because I live out in the country, often beyond cell phone coverage and you cannot depend on rapid emergency response. If “it” happens, you are on your own. I am not going to be caught unprepared. If I walked out of the house without 550 cord in my back pocket, you would have thought I had forgot my pants. My standard gear at all times is a folding lockblade Bundewehr utililty pocket knife (which is legal here) a Leatherman tool, BIC lighter in right front pocket, wallet in back, 550 cord and an Army wound dressing in right cargo with a Witz container containing puri tabs, fishing line, hooks, rubber lead head jigs and dental floss. Quik-Clot sponges go in my left cargo pocket with my Surefire flashlight. In the left front I carry a ferro rod and striker. I wear appropriate cargo pants or shorts to carry all of that. When I was working, I was not permitted to carry a firearm, but was entrusted with a chain saw, axe and pitchfork in my work truck. I can tell you from personal experience that when you are confronted with multiple loose pit bull dogs in a bad part of town, the pitchfork works better than a pistol!

But now that I am retired I am no longer impeded by “work rules” and being licensed to carry a concealed handgun, I do so most of the time. A 4” barrel blue steel Colt Police Positive .38 Special is securely holstered inside my right waistband, with two Speed strips of spare ammo ride in the front cargo pocket next to my Android phone. In the last 20 years I spent working, I had to rely on what I brought with me to storm damaged or wild parts. In the crowd that I run with now, leaving the house without a firearm is like leaving without your pants. So, with all that being said, what do you carry daily? I hope at least the minimum.

The water bottle, CLIF bars and lunch are always nearby, if not in my outer coat pockets.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
9 August 2015, 23:18,
Interesting that this thread comes up while I am mid edc rebuild.

I have the issue that I am in a suit 5 days a week and have a certain image to hold by. All of my edc gear has to fit and be hidden.

One advantage/disadvantage we have in the UK is no handguns. So no guns or ammo to hide. Most of my gear is pen style, e.g. pen-light, pen shaped knife, etc. But I am expanding to include a notepad and a couple of small bits.

Need a better medical edc though.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
9 August 2015, 23:59,
S13, do you really need to edc a medical kit? Can you not simply keep such kit in the car/office?
10 August 2015, 04:40,
(9 August 2015, 20:01)Straight Shooter Wrote: Wild thang ! .....i think i love you...springs to mind MB

Have you considered a golf cart ?

I considered a golf cart but rejected the notion because the foolish things do not have the range I need and they will not allow them inside the stores I shop.

Perhaps one of those mobility chairs with a motorbike engine attached would do.

Mo's pocketful appears much like mine, except I do keep a metal survival card in the wallet and a small fire starting rod in the pill container along with a cotton ball for tinder.

And like CH, I also carry a pocket pistol, mostly to ward off predators in our rural area.
10 August 2015, 22:03,
I don't need a full medical EDC, but something like QuikClot or another bleed stopper could literally be a life saver. If I slice my leg open and blood starts gushing, I'd rather not have to rush to a first aid kit, to my car or call for help. It's be better to treat is straight away.

Imagine if something happened and a colleague fell and caught a huge gash that was pouring blood. Very quickly they felt faint. Now go and leave them and get the medical kit from your car, or from the next floor up or down, or over at the front desk, or somewhere like that. Granted it may only be a few seconds, but it may also be a few minutes there and back. Having it with you for 5 years and not needing it may seem stupid, but that one time you need it with you, it's there. For me, that's what prepping is about.

I have carried a knife with me for around 8 years. The other day I got my finger stuck in a conveyor/egg belt at the farm and I just managed to stop the machine before it hit the roller. I had to slice my finger…HAHA, I'm kidding. I sliced off the plastic around my finger, and got it out. Could have been there for a while but I had my knife with me. My fingernail was bleeding badly, and it hurt like f**k! But I was okay. For 8 years I've not needed my knife in an emergency, but it saved my finger less than a week ago.

Do I need to EDC a full medical kit? Probably not, no. Is it possible that EDCing a pack of QuikClot, a tourniquet, or a compression bandage, could save a life? Damn right. It's a TINY possibility, but I'd rather have it with me, just in case. If I don't use it for 5 years, I don't care. Because it'll be there when I do need it. A full medical kit…no chance. But the 3 items that could really make a difference? Yeah, I'll EDC them very shortly.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
11 August 2015, 00:19,
Like Mortblanc, the revolver is carried mostly for poisonous snakes. We have timber rattlers and copperheads. A Speer .38 shotshell full of No.9 comes up first, the rest of the rounds in the cylinder are Winchester Ranger 147-grain Law Enforcement jacketed hollow points. The two Bianchi Speed Strips carry the same mix, one Speer No.9 shot and five 147 grain JHP +P+ LE rounds. Next to snakes the most likely threat are feral dogs, which become aggressive and run in packs in winter.

We do have black bears, bobcat and coyotes, but healthy ones have a natural fear of humans and are rarely seen.
The coyote you see in daylight is possibly rabid and that is then the gun comes out...

Violent street crime is rare here, because 38,000 people in West Virginia are licensed to carry concealed.
This benefits the general public, because the criminals don't know who is armed and who isn't. MUCH safer than Baltimore, Washington, DC, Richmond (VA), Philadelphia, Newark or New York City.

A great many of the students in personal protection classes are women. "Ladies only" classes taught by a female state trooper and female county sheriff's deputy at the state police barracks are always full and there is a six-month waiting list.
The classes cover situational awareness, threat assessment, home security, personal security, non-lethal weapons, force continuum, the laws which cover self defence and use of deadly force, firearms safety, security and storage, as well as actual firing time and qualification on the range.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
11 August 2015, 04:41,
We have more than 300,000 CCW permits in affect in Kentucky. That is almost 10% of our population.

All requiring a safety and legal aspects course as well as proof of capability live fire exam.

I am sure there would be more if we were not an "open carry state", so a permit is not needed for keeping a firearm in the vehicle or if one is wearing the weapon exposed.

As in WVA, our violent crime rate is very low. Most crime here is drug related and junkies sell any firearms they can acquire to buy drugs.

My county had 2 assaults last year and both of those were domestic batteries. No murders and surprisingly few home break ins. I saw the local police driving down my lane a few days back for the third time in six years. He was probably serving a lawsuit or divorce warrant.

Move right along folks, no excitement here!

Seems that every time I walk out the door without the gun I need it. I had to return to the house and grab the shotgun to pepper a big mongrel's butt the other day because I had walked out to cut some okra and did not have my pistol in my pocket. He was after the chickens and needed killing but I decided to just motivate him on his way. Some #8 shot at 50 yards did the job and I have not seen him since.
11 August 2015, 15:15,
Slight transatlantic translation problem here.

On our side of the pond these are suspenders:
[Image: 11vpk3k.jpg]

These, on the other hand, are braces!
[Image: 2mgnpk5.jpg]

:-)

I do acknowledge the sagging problem. I get it carrying camera lenses on my belt, and also tools in the woodland. Braces help a lot.
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
11 August 2015, 17:28,
I am now very concerned about MB......now you point it out T.