Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Truly being alone
26 August 2015, 20:07,
RE: Truly being alone
Hang on, before we head further into the esoteric depths, what exactly do you mean by being "truly alone"? Tens of thousands (probably more actually) of people live alone - some by choice and some not - and don't see anyone for long periods. Apart from the well publicised depressions suffered by those celebrities who were unliked on Facebook or whatever, most people don't seem to crack up.

I lived on my own for years and loved every minute of it. Holidays were absolute bliss. I don't recall cracking up - even in extreme weather conditions - nor did I end up sobbing into a hankie for no reason. You chaps are showing signs of being wimpy (except BP and I still think he's a reincarnated Viking).
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
26 August 2015, 20:25, (This post was last modified: 26 August 2015, 20:26 by Devonian.)
(26 August 2015, 20:07)MaryN Wrote: Hang on, before we head further into the esoteric depths, what exactly do you mean by being "truly alone"? Tens of thousands (probably more actually) of people live alone - some by choice and some not - and don't see anyone for long periods. Apart from the well publicised depressions suffered by those celebrities who were unliked on Facebook or whatever, most people don't seem to crack up.

I lived on my own for years and loved every minute of it. Holidays were absolute bliss. I don't recall cracking up - even in extreme weather conditions - nor did I end up sobbing into a hankie for no reason. You chaps are showing signs of being wimpy (except BP and I still think he's a reincarnated Viking).

Well said Mary.

As with your own past experience I've been living on my own since 2008, when I separated from my wife and then got divorced. I do not have any family; no support network of friends (having spent most of my career frequently moving around the UK to where projects were being carried out) and it's never been a problem for me.

But........ I see the FaceBook generation and the welfare generation constantly around us and these groups seem to need constant reassurance, praise and support from others to simply get through a normal day.

So whilst I'm not saying S13 (or anyone else on here) is like that, I can understand the point he is raising and there will be plenty of people who simply will not cope with being alone, or being told what to do etc.....

But also that doesn't mean that others won't cope or even thrive in such circumstances.
26 August 2015, 20:34,
Good evening to you, Dev. I have this funny little vision of a ragged little prepper trudging miserably along in crappy weather, clutching his bug out bag and sniffing into a hankie because he suddenly feels alone! Oh come on! First of all, where in the UK do you think you can actually be alone for long if we do have a SHTF situation? There will be hoards of desperate people (probably migrants) streaming all over the place trying to find somewhere to go. Alone, my a**e! You would probably be thrilled to find a quiet spot to get away from it all.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
26 August 2015, 20:47,
Can I just point out that working alone, going on holiday alone, and living at home alone…in those situations, there is still the option to go outside and see people.

I fear the mistake of not understanding (or me not explaining) what truly alone means, seems to be dominating this thread. For example, imagine an old person, living alone, no family, but on a cruise ship holidaying by themselves. This person is NOT alone! They are surrounded by people, so just the site of other people categorises them as being an outsider in a herd. They have access to TV, radio, and can even people watch. These are activities that would not be possible, without human based action, e.g. seeing or hearing another person. An old person on a cruise ship will be surrounded by people, they will be eating food made by other people, they will be served drinks by other people. The fact these interactions involve other people, simply means that they do not fit into the criteria of TRULY ALONE.

Going off by yourself, not seeing another person for days on end, not hearing another voice, not even having the option to see another person…that is truly alone.

Being locked in a small cell, on a desert island, wondering the wilderness, caged away in a storm shelter for you don't know how long, walking around a destroyed city after a tsunami without seeing, hearing or smelling another human being….those things count as alone.

Having a mobile phone, driving in a car by yourself, living in a house by yourself, working in a town, city, village, office, by yourself, does not count as alone. Watching TV, being online, having Facebook, twitter, a paid job, collecting benefits, picking up retirement money, going on holiday, being on a bus, walking down a busy street, walking a quiet street, sitting in a room with a pet, these are examples of not being truly alone.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 August 2015, 22:59,
(26 August 2015, 20:34)MaryN Wrote: Good evening to you, Dev. I have this funny little vision of a ragged little prepper trudging miserably along in crappy weather, clutching his bug out bag and sniffing into a hankie because he suddenly feels alone! Oh come on! First of all, where in the UK do you think you can actually be alone for long if we do have a SHTF situation? There will be hoards of desperate people (probably migrants) streaming all over the place trying to find somewhere to go. Alone, my a**e! You would probably be thrilled to find a quiet spot to get away from it all.

I'm totally with you on this Mary, for me (and I would guess, most on SUK) S13's definition of being Truly alone would not be a problem, but for the Sheeple may be a different situation.
27 August 2015, 09:21, (This post was last modified: 27 August 2015, 09:50 by bigpaul.)
(26 August 2015, 17:32)Scythe13 Wrote: BP, when you talk about being alone, that's cool that you can cope with that. I like a bit of alone time, but find forced alone-time to be much harder. We always want what we can't have, so being forced to be alone is much harder for me…because even when I don't want the human contact, not having the option of it has made me want it.

What kinds of situations have forced you to be alone? How have you coped with those situations?

Scythe, I grew up as an "only" child, I spent lots of time on my own, and even as an adult(I've been married 3 times and divorced twice....must tell you something....huh?) I've spent the majority of time alone, being alone is not a problem for me, in fact I relish it, it other people that cause me a problem, oh not in ones and two's- people I know, its the general public that gets on my nerves, most people are stupid and don't have a clue, I don't think many will survive post SHTF because they haven't been brought up to be self reliant, they actually NEED other people.

anyway, don't mind me, I always reckoned I wasn't quite human anywayBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 August 2015, 11:20,
Humans have not evolved to be alone in the truest sense of the word. We are pack animals and are hardwired to coexist with other humans in a mutually beneficial way. Even the most hardened misanthrope has someone nearby etc, even if they are only a small family unit or a neighbour. Nearly every instance of a person being truly isolated without any human contact has led to mental breakdown and an increased level of mental stress, normally exhibited by hearing noises and a feeling of being watched. These symptoms are your instinct telling you it is not normal to be in this state. To be truly alone is possibly the worst thing a human could experience.
27 August 2015, 11:43,
for once I disagree with you TH, it depends how one has been brought up, I was taught from an early age to stand on my own too feet, but I cant say the same for most people, I keep sighting my SIL, she lives alone and she just HAS to go out and meet other people and have great long conversations with complete strangers!! definitely one that wouldn't survive alone.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 August 2015, 14:07, (This post was last modified: 27 August 2015, 14:09 by Scythe13.)
BP, I fear you are mixing up having time by yourself, because you choose it, and not having the option to be near other people.

You mentioned when you were a child. Did you have a family? If so, you were not TRULY alone. You had time by yourself, but you were not alone. Alone would be Mohgilli from the Jungle Book, days, weeks, months, and more, without even the option for human contact. That is being alone as a child. Playing in the woods by yourself is not even close to being alone. Having a family unit does not count as being truly alone. Going to school, even if you're a loner, does not count as being truly alone.

Not seeing any human life for prolonged periods of time, that is being truly alone.

Living by yourself and still going to the shops, driving on roads where there are other people, seeing a TV, hearing a radio, even chatting on a forum, would automatically cancel that person's 'alone' feelings. They might still feel lonely, but they are not alone.

If you work alone, then having a job suggests you get paid, which suggests you have customers, suppliers, etc. This means that person is not alone, as they interact with other people, e.g. customers, suppliers, accountants, and such.

Please, please, please, can we recognise the difference between having NOBODY around you, and thus NO OPTION to to see/hear/speak to another person….can we recognise the difference between that and choosing to hang out with nobody. If there is the availability of choosing to be by yourself or with other people, then you are not alone.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
27 August 2015, 14:14,
not trying to be facetious but who filmed these people in this program....not seen it by the way but I shall have a look when I get home...if somebody filmed them then they weren't alone and if they filmed themselves then I guess the juiciest f/ups,and meltdowns either got deleted or never filmed.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!