Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Truly being alone
29 August 2015, 17:22,
RE: Truly being alone
(29 August 2015, 17:19)Straight Shooter Wrote: .we are practising survivalists.....We already find our own company fantastic and the mind set to match !

here here SS, well said.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 August 2015, 19:11,
I think SD is right - you are either of the mindset to cope with it, or you are not. I don't think you can learn the knack of being alone and being comfortable with it. Some people crave the company of others.

I personally relish alone time. I can't offer any tips on how I cope with it, because I just do. I know some folks try to keep busy or even keep the radio on for company. Being alone is a pleasure for me, and others on the Forum are obviously of the same mind.

To be honest, on this crowded little island I doubt if there will ever be a time when you are "truly alone" for very long, so the question of what would you do if there were no others around is not going to be too much of an issue.

For any one who needs coping mechanism - how about a dog? Great friend, helpful companion and definitely man's best friend.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
29 August 2015, 22:47,
There are many different coping strategies with being alone.

One obvious one is to get as much experience of being by oneself as possible. This can be done by being in situations where you feel isolated. Whether in a town you don't know, or better still, being away for a short period of time in the woods, or as wild an area as possible. This will be a great way to test your emotional state of being 'alone'. It's not the real thing, but it's a step in the right direction. Small portions act as a stress inoculation. Same as how some people help out in mountain rescue or as an emergency responder, and as a response are much better to cope with physical stresses, the same is true mentally.

Another option is to keep yourself as busy as possible. Real life examples of castaways and people whom were shipwrecked showed that those whom kept busy physically, also kept mentally aware and sane. Studies suggest this is because the mind is active in problem solving situations, which force them to act (mentally) on the here and now, and not to dwell in the past or let their minds wonder.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
30 August 2015, 09:45, (This post was last modified: 30 August 2015, 16:43 by Lightspeed.)
I Watched the series on Youtube.

Very interesting seeing how various events and errors took these guys down.

Psychologically these guys knew that a comfortable life /help was just a sat-phone call away. Also the prize money was a high level motivator for some of them.

I think the right guy won. He got his life in the wilderness sorted very quickly and made choices that were either right, or ones he could stick with for the duration. He was also no stranger to the danger of predation.. setting up separate food prep, and cooking areas away from his main camp was a good call. Likewise eating on the tide line kept his presence hidden. I liked his way of having a daily ritual of activities synced to the tides. Likewise his strategy of inertia between periods of hunting/gathering/essential activity. Smart moves all of them. His food prep and utensil cleaning routines were plainly well tried and tested.

A good series. I enjoyed it and learned a lot.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

30 August 2015, 14:23,
Good to see that someone noticed that there was something besides just being alone happening in the woods.

Construction, equipment, food gathering, coping with weather, dealing with predators.
30 August 2015, 16:51, (This post was last modified: 30 August 2015, 16:53 by Lightspeed.)
Hi MB good to see you are still alive and kicking:-)

I side-tracked a little in that last post.....

The point about the Sat phone and the comfortable life awaiting them when it was all over is that in a real survival situation probably neither of these would exist.

So the guys were plainly not alone. Daily dialogue into the vid cam in the sure knowledge that it would get aired on mainstream TV also tempered the alone scenario. Also at the end the producers contacted Alan to set up a medical examination as a cover for telling him that he's won. That means that all of the competitors had sat phones that were somehow powered and live through out their period of solitude.... they were effectively in two way contact with the outside world.....hardly alone.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

30 August 2015, 22:10,
Echoing what MaryN said, I don't think I'd have the choice to be alone as that is just my current family situation, ruling out some horrendous scenario where I am split off or left alone. Even then I do think I'd want to be part of a "tribe" for all the benefits that would give. For me it would be religious if not family centred.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
30 August 2015, 22:18,
Nothing wrong with your view Tibbs old chap !
31 August 2015, 10:46,
I don't think we can guarantee everyone will survive a life changing event, there will be a lot of people who are left alone through no fault of their own, it wasn't planned that way but it happened, that's why plans have to be flexible. one might want to join a group post event but I feel joining a group of total strangers or people you might have only a nodding acquaintance with is fraught with danger and could be life threatening, there is only one person I trust 100% and that is me. there are 65 million people on this little island(not counting the illegals) and not all of them will come through the other side, it is silly to think they will.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 September 2015, 10:53, (This post was last modified: 1 September 2015, 10:58 by Devonian.)
(28 August 2015, 23:39)Straight Shooter Wrote: Bugger ....you should have said Dev......we could have met up for tea ! and had a race.....landy v bitchy

I did think about pinging you a message before going, but time was a bit tight this weekend Undecided

(29 August 2015, 17:22)bigpaul Wrote:
(29 August 2015, 17:19)Straight Shooter Wrote: .we are practising survivalists.....We already find our own company fantastic and the mind set to match !

here here SS, well said.

Plus one, I like that Smile

The thing that frustrates the buggery out of me with the general theme of this thread is the assumption (by so many) that we are all the same - we are not, we are a diverse species. Yes (as I have already said in this thread) a lot of people simply won't cope with being alone, but don't assume that there are those who won't, or even those who will thrive under such conditions, not having to carry those around them.