Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Allotment
19 October 2015, 17:48,
New Allotment
So I had the chance to take over an allotment last month , the en we decided against it... then I thought, WTF? What on earth was I thinking... so made a call today and we're in. Biggest patch on the site apparently going to be sharing it with the wife's granddad. This is ideal, cause he knows what he's doing but can't physically do it any longer, and I've got no idea what I'm doing but i'm happy to take orders and do the manual labour. Beats going to the gym too.

Sooo, what would you lot recommend for an amateur to start with? There's things there now, but will be rotovating the site in the next few weeks so it a blank canvas. Obviously not much is going to happen over winter, as far as I'm aware there's not much to be planted at this time of year?
Got lots of books to read through on what to plant and when, anyone got any suggestions for different methods, like the straw bale thread, that's nice and easy for a beginner like me?

Cheer guys 'n gals
19 October 2015, 19:45,
RE: New Allotment
Well, good on you BM, get out there and flex those muscles digging the soil over. You are a bit late to plant stuff for winter, although you can sow broad bean seeds now and some pea varieties (under fleece if you have it). If you have the chance of a greenhouse there are varieties of lettuce you could try. Some folks have grown potatoes in pots to eat over Christmas.

You may well find that some garden centres have a few trays left of brassicas - that is, cabbage, sprouts etc. It's a bit late and harvest would be later than normal, but give it a go.

Best thing though is that you get to prep up the soil for next year's goodies - dig in loads of muck and keep the ground happy.
Good luck to you and happy gardening.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
19 October 2015, 20:01,
Dig it over first BM get any weeds out......then use the Rotavator , dress it over with some horse muck (well rotted ) ....plan out the plot what is going where and when ...what crops will follow on ..you only get out what you put in mate....weed the crop...spare no ammo kill em all....bastards.....then...enjoy the best food money can,t buy....then your hooked i,m afraid .....there is no known cure..no reharb NOTHING.
19 October 2015, 20:53,
Cheers guys.

Going to get onsite this weekend and measure the plot, then get it drawn up on computer. Been warned not to leave anything on site, "traveller" camp mile away, things have a tendency of disappearing. Well, tools anyway, don't seem to bother with any veg. So no greenhouses or polytunnels as they've been known to go walkabout. Can have a shed, but anything in there will also vanish, so not much point!

Got rotovator to borrow. Need to assemble it first apparently - been repaired - not much of a repair if I've got to put it back together myself! Still, one more thing to learn.

Want to try the straw bale approach, sure Jades granddad will be happy there's less bending involved. May help with the rabbits too.

Can't wait to get down there, shame I was such an idiot and didn't jump at the chance straight away. Could have gotten something in the ground by now. Will pop to the garden centres Friday and check out the brassicas. There's a patch that needs clearing, so want to try hugelkulture too.

River runs beside the allotments also, might even get a spot of fishing done Cool
19 October 2015, 20:56,
Go for it BM, and mind your back! All that first-time enthusiasm can hurt!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
19 October 2015, 21:47,
(19 October 2015, 20:56)MaryN Wrote: Go for it BM, and mind your back! All that first-time enthusiasm can hurt!

Thanks for the warning Mary, I'll make sure I ease myself in slowly. Plenty of tea. Be taking Sid with me, and he's only 4, so lots of explaining what's going on and why. Everything takes ages Big Grin

Anyone have any plans for beehive construction? I'm hoping for one of those 'if you build it, they will come' moments. Awful film reference. Bonus points if you know wtf I'm talking about. Presuming that no one would attempt to steal a hive full of bees... Can't have one in the garden, Jade is highly allergic to the sting. And I've jot got her insured yet...
20 October 2015, 08:02,
listen to all the old boys on the site, listen and learn, listen and learn.
as for the physical side of the work, best thing I was told was "a little and often, a little and often", you cant do it all in one go, even you aren't superman, take your time and do it properly.
old carpets(NON foam backed) and cardboard is useful, put it over the area to be cleared, weigh it down with bricks and it will kill off the grass and most of the weeds for you.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 October 2015, 20:05, (This post was last modified: 20 October 2015, 20:14 by Steve.)
(20 October 2015, 08:02)bigpaul Wrote: best thing I was told was "a little and often, a little and often"

My Dad says "small spade, dig all day...."

BM - Bonus points - Field of Dreams Big Grin

John Jeavons has done a lot of work on soil preparation and obtained impressive yields. I have his book, but there is info on the website too:

http://growbiointensive.org/

I just looked at the site, it's a bit cluttered, this is a good starting point:

http://growbiointensive.org/PDF/FarmersHandbook.pdf
20 October 2015, 20:14,
Oddly enough up this way some of the allotments in this area have been getting visits at night by people thinking its OK to take " some" foods from community allotments because they consider themselves new members of the community but not allotmentiers ( Eastern Europeans who also think club angling pond stock is a free smorgasbord) So check the security of your allotments.

21 October 2015, 08:27,
(20 October 2015, 20:05)Steve Wrote:
(20 October 2015, 08:02)bigpaul Wrote: best thing I was told was "a little and often, a little and often"

My Dad says "small spade, dig all day...."

BM - Bonus points - Field of Dreams Big Grin

John Jeavons has done a lot of work on soil preparation and obtained impressive yields. I have his book, but there is info on the website too:

http://growbiointensive.org/

I just looked at the site, it's a bit cluttered, this is a good starting point:

http://growbiointensive.org/PDF/FarmersHandbook.pdf

Thanks for the links Steve, will have a gander when I'm back on the other side of the wire.

Bonus points for you too sir! Also tenuous link to Waynes World... sort of...