Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new storage regulations
26 October 2015, 19:35,
RE: new storage regulations
Okay DEV i can see what you say...BUT we are talking fuel here, anyone driving ANYTHING from a car to a chainsaw even an oil lamp ....are affected by this change.....does it not make SENSE to ensure ALL are aware of such a change especially when the majority uses fuel ...every day..not forgetting the fact of the volatility of the substance ?
26 October 2015, 19:56,
I think your average joe isn't storing in excess of 200l of fuel. Very few people are.

The people who can be expected to have large stores ( Farmers, boating organisations etc) will probably know about the regulations. Plainly the YHA has been publicising it.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

26 October 2015, 20:14,
I followed a link from the RYA site, and found that there are not new restrictions on the storage of diesel - which is good as I always have at least 400litres. It appears that I might have to collect re-fills more often though, as some retailers could refuse to let me put more than 60 litres in a drum at one time.

I wonder how this affects heating oil ? I don't use it myself, but a previous owner left a 2700 litre tank here, and that size is quite common.
26 October 2015, 22:17,
Please correct me if I am wrong but I suspect that heating oil, whilst it is diesel, probably would not successfully power a road vehicle and is coloured red - so if you are found to be using the red stuff on the road you are in for a deal of aggro from you know who. Farmers are allowed to use a vehicle red diesel for their tractors because they are mostly on the fields and not on the roads. Heating oil tanks have to be made to a specific design for safety.
Have been stopped by the fuzz a few times over the years when they 'inspect' the fuel in my tank to make sure it is not red - seem disappointed when they find it is the regular gear.
It would seem that there are some new regs coming into force with regard to the distribution panels for the elec in houses. I think it all starts in the new year and all new units installed have be made of metal or an appropriately fire proof material - only found this out by accident and am not too clear on the details.
26 October 2015, 22:25, (This post was last modified: 26 October 2015, 22:26 by Barneyboy.)
New diesel cars are a bit ponsy ,when it comes to fuel ,older cars can and do run on red ,but it does dry the engine out so you will get hot spots .to stop this you can add engine oil one mug full per 20 l of red ,don't get nicked they will crush your car ,to be fare its not worth it guys
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
26 October 2015, 22:42,
My diesel vehicle is about seven years old and misfires from time to time - local garage, who service it, suggested that I put 'proper' diesel in it as I had been using our local supermarket forecourt for fuel as it was quite a bit cheaper.
So I put a tank full of 'branded product' in it and there was no misfire at all. The inference was that the supermarkets specify the minimum quality of product that they can get away with whilst the 'brands' are slightly better in quality and more expensive.
Have to agree that it is just not worth taking too many risks.
26 October 2015, 23:38,
I use red diesel in my tractors, and I keep a good stock of it. Diesel ( and petrol ) is the bargain of all time - in an engine it can do a stunning amount of work.

It's been calculated that one barrel of crude oil, cracked into fuels, can do as much work as a man working 40 hours a week for 11 years.

This does not surprise me. My van, for example, can move a 2 ton load 40 miles in one hour on one gallon of diesel. Imagine how long it would take you to push that load 40 miles. Imagine, too, how far that one gallon of diesel could move the load if it was powering a small single cylinder engine and trundling along at 5mph. You could travel hundreds of miles at that speed, on £5 worth of diesel.

Absolute bargain.
27 October 2015, 01:09,
(26 October 2015, 19:35)Straight Shooter Wrote: Okay DEV i can see what you say...BUT we are talking fuel here, anyone driving ANYTHING from a car to a chainsaw even an oil lamp ....are affected by this change.....does it not make SENSE to ensure ALL are aware of such a change especially when the majority uses fuel ...every day..not forgetting the fact of the volatility of the substance ?

SS I agree totally, it doesn't make sense, but it is the way it is Wink

Also everyone, please be aware that the regulations refer to Petroleum/Petrol ONLY, and NOT to Diesel or oil or heating oil etc etc, as they are not classed as Highly Flammable, unlike petrol which is.

Read the HSE link I posted earlier and not the RYA for the full details:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/p...s-2014.pdf
27 October 2015, 11:44,
Had a little trundle around the net and came across a local, to me, company website. There's a link to a downloadable which may prove useful in the common sense dept - originally published by the FTA and dated 2012. Has a few links in it as well.
http://www.rix.co.uk/documents/content/f...f_fuel.pdf
23 June 2021, 20:36,
Reading this reminds me that a DIESEL genset is the best route to go. It stores easier (heating oil can be used in gensets) and you can get a LOT in a legal tank.

Whilst I keep petrol on site (garden tools and small gensets) I do have a need for a larger genset which looks likely to be a diesel setup now.