Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
1 year EMP
15 January 2012, 18:56,
RE: 1 year EMP
There is a philosophy Scythe (in prepping circles) that goes something like this:" if you dont know them, if you havent met them, if you havent worked with them, then dont trust them!" in a TSHTF event all rules will be off, the rule of law wont exist and its every man/woman for themselves. this is why we need RZ's, to meet people we can trust and work with, both now and after TEOTWAWKI.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 January 2012, 18:58,
(15 January 2012, 18:56)bigpaul Wrote: There is a philosophy Scythe (in prepping circles) that goes something like this:" if you dont know them, if you havent met them, if you havent worked with them, then dont trust them!" in a TSHTF event all rules will be off, the rule of law wont exist and its every man/woman for themselves. this is why we need RZ's, to meet people we can trust and work with, both now and after TEOTWAWKI.

Hear Hear. Trust is somethink gained from building closer usually face to face interactions.

15 January 2012, 19:09,
I hear what you're saying and I agree.

If I were to ever take someone into a team, that I didn't know, I would accept them in, and watch them like a hawk.
7 February 2012, 15:47,
The problem in my mind is that those of us with the ability to generate and supply electricity, or other services locally will have the toughest decisions to make.

Do we use our skills to benefit and sustain our own, closed circle of family and friends just incase the grid takes too long to resupply and risk those friends and relatives being shunned afterwards for not sharing the pain?

Do we seek to profit hugely from exploiting others during the dificult times and risk placing ourselves and families on the s**t list for profiteering when the lights eventually come back on?

Do we altruistically give our services free to all who ask in the hope that they in turn will work toward the benefit of all and run the risk of our familes and friends suffering if those we help decide not to spread the effort?

I'm buggered if I know...... And I think the only certainty is that there will be no certainties during that time....HuhHuh
Failure to prepare mentally, is preparing to fail totally.
7 February 2012, 15:56,
your family/group will/must always come first, i think that goes without saying! if you have any extra then you may wish to help others, depending on whether you think you can trust them or if they they will gab to other people and then you have refugees banging on your door desperate for anything they can get. the decision is yours, i know what mine would be-keep shtum!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 February 2012, 16:02,
One thing is certain. Keep OPSEC now. Think about some scenarios and what you would do while you can think ahead.

When TSHTF then you can decide knowing all the facts what you are willing to do and you won't have committed yourself to anything up front.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 February 2012, 16:13,
its like the comment i put on another site some time ago about this kind of subject, i said that as far as i was concerned i would not trust anyone on this estate, we have too many people who are out for what they can get, be it wealth, power or influence or all three and who in a SHTF event would just grab everything for themselves and to hell with anyone else. i have 3 very good mates who i have known for over 30 years and i would trust them with my life but nobody else, in fact there are a couple of people who i would be glad to see the back off(ie neighbours) when the balloon goes up!
7 February 2012, 19:14,
I'm agreed with BP, me and mine, first.

After that, I think we would need to know someone one for a while and have gone through certain trials and tribulations with them, before letting them jack up to a generator....which I don't have :-(....yet :-)

The most important things would be whether the EMP shuts down the water supply. Also, shops won't be selling goods if their tills don't work.

I remember being in Morrisons on a powercut, and they stopped serving everyone. Same happened in a small cornershop once, we were told to wait outside until the powercut ended.

Those are the things that will present the most danger.
7 February 2012, 21:53,
Before you provide anything with a broad appeal, for even your own, you must protect your position.

Any great advantage seen by others would make them and Everyone they tell about it a potential aggressor, who may, or may not hide their intentions and possibly harm those you seek to protect.

By being patient initially, exploiting only that which draws no attention and allowing someone else to become the obvious target, the hazards become easy to identify and while their sights ar set elsewhere, just as easy to remove....

In the absence of plenty, those who take just because they can are vermin and it's always easier to kill a garden rat than to feed it outside and hope that it won't come in at night and eat your cornflakes.
Failure to prepare mentally, is preparing to fail totally.
8 February 2012, 10:28,
(7 February 2012, 19:14)Scythe13 Wrote: I remember being in Morrisons on a powercut, and they stopped serving everyone. Same happened in a small cornershop once, we were told to wait outside until the powercut ended.

Those are the things that will present the most danger.
this is why i have a cash emergency fund, wave cash under their faces when the power goes off and they will soon serve youTongue