Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
1 year EMP
11 January 2012, 10:28, (This post was last modified: 11 January 2012, 10:30 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: 1 year EMP
(11 January 2012, 10:20)Scythe13 Wrote: 2-3 weeks should be long enough for the majority of the bedlam to subside. Then we would start to move back towards our home. We would probably set up a camp on the hills near where we live. Just like an outpost so we can watch the activity in the area for another week, before we dared to make a move back to our home.

Once we know it is save, it then becomes a couple of day trips to the home. Then after about 10 days of that, it should be time to move back in permenantly.

The issue would be if any of my hidden batches of food were found. Your average looter won't go into the loft, so most stores in there should be safe.

Again a fascinating insight into how we view things differently, this is how we learn from each other. I'm of the belief that the chaos and anarchy wont become large scale until about a week or so has passed, IE when folks start to realise the power if off long term, the cops are hiding, the streets unlkit and unpoliced and food / water/ gas no longer arrives. Then I estimate at least 3 months of anarchy, coupled with rioting and arson, looting, gang trouble, and mass evacuation from the cities. I give the average city 2/3 weeks without power/ water or sewage systems before cholera and typhus break out. Then the sheeple burning down entire streets when their DIY cookers go wrong. After 3 plus months hunger, ill health, predation and stress will make things calm down and only the preppers and most vicous predators will survive.
(11 January 2012, 10:20)Scythe13 Wrote: Just thinking about it, Reality Jones and a couple of other Bristol based guys are going to be meeting up to start a team. That would give us the biggest advantage ever!

Thats a very positive start, can I siggest you read Alas Babylon to get some ideas about cooperation and improvisation, and if you do form up you will all need to agree to keep an agreed level of supplies and kit each, plus a comms system and warning system ( again hint hint read alas babylon)

11 January 2012, 10:42,
(11 January 2012, 10:28)NorthernRaider Wrote: I'm of the belief that the chaos and anarchy wont become large scale until about a week or so has passed, IE when folks start to realise the power if off long term, the cops are hiding, the streets unlkit and unpoliced and food / water/ gas no longer arrives. Then I estimate at least 3 months of anarchy, coupled with rioting and arson, looting, gang trouble, and mass evacuation from the cities. I give the average city 2/3 weeks without power/ water or sewage systems before cholera and typhus break out. Then the sheeple burning down entire streets when their DIY cookers go wrong. After 3 plus months hunger, ill health, predation and stress will make things calm down and only the preppers and most vicous predators will survive.

Until a week? To me that seems beautifully optimistic on the human spirit. I'm a bit more skepticle. Think about how quickly people would riot to get food. 3 days is a pretty safe bet. None of the supermarkets would be open because of the loss of power. Most people don't store enough food to last them more than 3 days (that's cupboards stripped bare). Which means people will be looting the supermarkets within 4 days. The supermarkets will have only 2.5 days worth of stock (the average supermarket restocks 3 times a week). So it would mean all supermarkets would be looted on day 4. But a lot of the stuff in the fridges and freezers would be warm, and all the 'fresh produce' like bread and fruit would be half way gone off. So that ould mean the markets would have about 1 days worth of usable food for the people in the area.

Which means full on riots in less than a week, because people cannot find food.

That's just my take on how I see things playing out.
13 January 2012, 00:13,
Snap, crackle & pop
Radio/TV goes off
Bang/crunch outside
Car horns unusually loud
Dogs barking
Someone shouting outside
No digital display on the Sky/TV systems
No power standby light either
Sirens somewhere in the distance
Strangely quiet
muffled bangs in distance
Louder one somewhat nearer
Mobile phone gone flat?
More loud bangs/carrumphs outside from different directions.
Outside see neighbours peering out of windows too.
Some wandering & talking to others
Car buried in wall half way up street - someone gone to help,
Another crash at end of street
Smoke plumes rising in all directions.
A glint on the horizon shooting downwards & a brief flash, followed by plume of black smoke
Phone still not working
No vehicles moving - some parked at angles across the street
People walking around, some look dazed
More people walking than seen in a long while.
More neighbours looking around blankly
Tv dead
Circuit breakers tripped
Circuits dead
Water pressure low
Hot water not working
Quiet, v.quiet.
Neighbours talking
Worried looks
"Blitz spirit & all that"
More worried looks
Talk of going to the shop.
Some very worried looks
women screaming down the road
Dogs barking
Occasional muffled bangs/explosions?
Many more plumes of smoke evident
No contrails
No traffic
unusually quiet between bangs.
The odd burglar alarm keeps resetting & ringing
A cold unsettling night
No news on the radio/TV
No authority figure seen
Should have a better idea tommorrow
Got some candles somewhere - will be fine???

Day 2
The neighbour says his friend down the road said it was some new superweapon satellite thingy. Thats what the word on the street is!More probably a freak sun storm or power station accident he thinks
Still - will make sure to go & stock up on food & candles as most of the other neighbours have already said they will.
He has heard the local shop is sold out of food - can't see it - you know what people & gossip are like --- Still, better get down there & check it out.
"Turns out a fair few neighbours didn't get home last night - U know, the working away ones. Those working in the city came home on foot at all hours of the night"
Must have been murder that! Some of those didn't show either - must be dossing at a work collegues?
Heard someones voice on a loudhailer possibly. Couldn't catch what was said.. Might head into town to find out what is going on & get some milk, bread & water bottles........
Starting to run out of what little water came out the tap & quite a bit of stuff in the fridge is going off
Mrs miggins & her husband dissapeared off today with what looked like her son in law. Loaded up a lot of stuff & disappeared in ahurry. So much so that left quite a pile of belongings on the pavement. No food amongst it or water - getting quite thirsty now
Will have to see what I can find on my way into town today.....
Crack.. What was that - there it is again, Crack crack - somewhere over the backs. Tht's a different sort of bang to what I heard before... Dogs barking & someone shouting away aways.
Don't fancy another cold night, hope they get the power on soon. Fred over the road says it wont be coming back on. Thats ridiculous! They will be working on it now. He always was a strange one that Fred - what with wearing camo gear all the time and his garden looking like a scrapyard, with his always messing around with old 4x4's. I remember him talking to me a few years back about storing food for the armaggeddon or something like that. In fact look - he's a right nutter - digging up his back garden and unwrapping all that polythene. What does he want a pond for now when all this calamity is going on? Some people are just plain stupid!
It might be worth me popping over later -- just to see if has any spare water or food. I'll just smile & hide my real thought. Well, youv'e got to look after yourself, no one else will I always say.......

13 January 2012, 10:59,
most people (non preppers) will not be looking for the same type of food supplies as us, they will be looking for fresh stuff-bread, milk,(not many people drink UHT milk which lasts for ages) biscuits, ready meals-very few people these days make their own bread for instance, so we can sit back with our supplies and let the mayhem blow up and then settle down again, in 3-4 weeks when everyone has done their looting we can come back and pick up what they've left behind, the tins, the flour etc.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 January 2012, 12:03,
i think my main problem whether EMP or some other TSHTF scenario will be the type of person who is left. although i live in a rural area, i live on a housing estate of some 500 people, now some people are old, even older than me! in their 70s and 80s, but we have a lot of what i call "modern" families i.e 1 parent with kids-usually mothers but we have 1 or 2 single fathers too, now we have mainly rented accomodation, social housing made up of the old "council" houses, new housing association houses(including ours), some buy to let and a few owner occupied, now the problem is we have a lot of the "single mother" type around here and they all have that "attitude" problem, you know, you make some remark and you get the answer "what's it to you?" my point is knowing what some of them are like around here, they are not going to cooperate but just grab everything they can for themselves" i've got children- i've GOT to have it", and sod everyone else. even in a large die off-say as much as 90% that will still leave 50 people, thats a lot of people if they want to be stroppy or arguementative or worse. i think i've just probably answered my own question, i guess we'd be bugging OUT and quickly!!Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 January 2012, 12:19,
BP,

Leave 50 people together in those situations and they will rip each other apart over a kit kat, or a real cat.

Just keep you head down. They won't roam in a big pack, they will go for smaller packs and then pick off those individuals that come into your home as quietly as possible.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
13 January 2012, 14:05,
(13 January 2012, 12:19)Skean Dhude Wrote: BP,

Leave 50 people together in those situations and they will rip each other apart over a kit kat, or a real cat.

Just keep you head down. They won't roam in a big pack, they will go for smaller packs and then pick off those individuals that come into your home as quietly as possible.

no not big packs SD, lots of interbreeding and family living nearby so they'll be in family packs. if i pick off individuals what do i do with the remains?Tongue
13 January 2012, 14:59,
Whatever you did with the other 90%.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
13 January 2012, 15:09,
(13 January 2012, 14:59)Skean Dhude Wrote: Whatever you did with the other 90%.

good job there is lots of pallet wood lying about, i can see i'm going to need it(for the pyresTongue).
15 January 2012, 18:42,
So it would seem that we all subscribe to the Flysian point of view. The thought that we will act like the Lord of the Flies characters, killing and violence for a small scrap of food.

It's good to know I'm not the only one that has a lack of faith in human kindness.

I think those that hold compassion and kindness will be some of the first to be no longer with us, if you know what I mean.

It will be the colder, more 'cut-throat' of us that makes it.

There will always be a place for a level of compassion and trust, but those that embrace and embody that view are the same that will end up crashing early on.

Are we all agreed to that?