Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rethinking the best home defense weapons: a look at the .22
3 November 2015, 09:17, (This post was last modified: 3 November 2015, 09:18 by Lightspeed.)
RE: Rethinking the best home defense weapons: a look at the .22
(2 November 2015, 15:35)Midnitemo Wrote: not everybody in my house would want to pick up a shotgun certainly not the elderly members or my partner so a .22 would be preferable and you can miss with a shotgun , tue cyl produces about 1 inch of spread per yard so your pattern at 15-20 yards is about 15-20 inches diameter

OK so not impossible to miss granted, but a 15" spread compared to 0.22" by my calculation the shotgun spread is more than 4000 the area of the .22

The chances of hitting target with a shotgun, especially in the heat of the moment is way above that of a .22
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

3 November 2015, 09:38, (This post was last modified: 3 November 2015, 09:40 by NorthernRaider.)
Mo, its also much easier to fire a 22 from the hip if an unaimed reactive / panic or suppressive fire is needed, but a heavily shortened 12 g does win hands down indoors in the vitally important INITIAL seconds of an engagement. But again a SG has only two rounds, three possibly four if you have a pump gun in the UK, so if its an incident involving anything more than chasing a burglar I would again go for the 22 with a 10, 20 or 30 round mag.

LS, lets just hope you hit ALL the targets with your 2 shots of 23 in magnum 00 buck Smile

3 November 2015, 10:12,
Smile
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

3 November 2015, 14:38,
The gist of the initial article as far as I see it is don't dismiss the .22 out of hand as it's more effective than you might think....this is more true here in the UK than where the article was written , we can't have many of the plethora of firearms available in the USA or the multitude of self defence specific rounds or cartridges they can purchase , in my mind shotgun is better than anything we can have for home defence but a .22 is usefull too , I think the article is not as valid in the USA as demonstrated by Mort's responses and I agree I wouldn't use a .22 if I had other better choices as our US cousin's do....but I don't
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
3 November 2015, 18:51,
Midnitemo, NR said he got the article from the Graywolf Survival site.

Graywolf is an American.

Secondly, the performance of a cartridge does not change with location and being a sub-marginal cartridge over here does not make it a better cartridge in GB, Germany or Brazil.

And the .22 or the shotgun are not your only choices! You have the choice of any of the dozens of cartridge choices that are better than the .22 in a rifle. You just can not have them in a semi-auto, which contrary to popular belief is not a magical device that makes up for all cartridge and shooter shortcomings.

Due to the shortage of .22lr ammo over here many of us have completely dropped the .22 from our inventories. I have not fired a .22lr shell in a couple of years and I have not missed the experience in the slightest. I bought a .357 carbine for my close range homestead varmint control and I have been using reduced loads in .223/5.56 from bolt action platforms in the place of the .22.

The only reason I still own a .22lr is because I have a couple of them that the grandkids consider to cute to sell. They are used for elimination of the overly aggressive soda cans we so often encounter.

You guys use what you want to use, just don't try to take everyone else down with you by convincing them of the myth of the .22lr. Especially those of you that do not shoot, do not own a firearm, have never fired a firearm and are trapped in an information loop based on internet myth.

BTW, tell your "elderly" and children to man up! I am 65 and shoot a couple of rounds of trap each week. We have several people in my trap shooting club hoisting 12ga shotguns that are nearing 80. My grandson stepped up to a 12bore from the 20 when he was 13 and my 11 year old granddaughter started using the 20ga when she was 10.
3 November 2015, 19:14, (This post was last modified: 3 November 2015, 19:17 by Midnitemo.)
I know it's an American article , but I believe it's a more credible point of view on this side of the pond in the main because of our draconian rules , I've explained about 00 buck already , we also have overall length and barrel length restriction's on our firearm's that you may not be aware off , shotgun's on section 2 need to be restricted to a maximum of 2 cartridges in the magazine and one in the breach they also must have a barrel exceeding 24 inches and they must have an overall length of not less than 40 inches , folding stocks are not allowed unless the stock has been permanently fixed open(welded) in contrast I am allowed a folding stock on my .22 the minimum barrel length is 12 inches the minimum overall length must not be shorter than 24 inches and I can have any capacity of magazine I like. my elderlies are in excess of 80 years old and mother inlaw is sub 5ft and sub 6st

.22 is a much more wieldy proposition than a shotgun indoors in the UK
3 November 2015, 19:42,
Overall length does not apply to sidexside over/under, single shot or bolt action shotguns. Only to semi auto,pump and lever action.
I did some experimenting with my cooey one time.I bought two replacement stocks from eBay.One I pistol gripped and the other I cut half the length of the butt off.
They were both useless.A full length butt is a must as far as I'm concerned.No hip firing for me.
Although we are restricted to 2+1 on. Section 2.I can keep my auto 5 fed pretty fast without running empty if I need to.
I'm very happy with the 12 bore.The only downside is ammunition carrying capacity, which doesn't enter into it as we're talking home defense.
For long term survival a .22 makes a lot of sense for the UK.For home defense,no.We have much better options.I would pick a 410 over a .22 and I would pick the 12 gauge over anything else we have.
It's such a versatile platform.
3 November 2015, 19:50,
12G S by S or OU can also be enhanced with calibre reducing inserts which allow you to use 16g , 20 g, 410g etc in a 12g its a very versatile tool, I still prefer 22LR

3 November 2015, 20:04,
both my autoloader and pump action are to cumbersome for indoor use being 47 and 44 inches long even my side by side and o/u shotguns are both over 40 inches long , my .22 by contrast is 24 inches long with the option of being moderated and the ability to use as many quick change magazines as I can stuff in my pockets(3x25's 3x10's and a single 5)
3 November 2015, 20:21, (This post was last modified: 3 November 2015, 20:33 by NorthernRaider.)
I would not like to move a full size SG around the typical British household, talk about cumbersome !!, the other calibres 38.40,45,9mm are not easily available to many people, certainly not as a pistol, but SGs and 22LRs are common as much among the UK shooting community, so sticking with LEGAL UK options for home / intruder confrontation though the 12g has the umph they don't have much capacity and they are bloody unwieldy in legal form. On the other hand the 22LR doesn't have as much umph but they do have the capacity and can be very compact legally. Any prepper worth his salt will work out for himself what will suit his own particular needs.

Hey hide behind the bed crouched down with a 12G and wait for the intruders, or go hunting intruders with a compact 22???

What about one of those Combis? 22LR over 12G survival rifles ?? pretty nasty but if your undecided ??

Course if you are outside https://flamethrowerplans.com/welcome EVIL GRIN !!!