Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Govt daft idea of the day (turning off FM radio)
6 November 2015, 20:47, (This post was last modified: 6 November 2015, 20:48 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: Govt daft idea of the day (turning off FM radio)
" Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Broadsword calling Danny Boy "

Where Weasels Dare

7 November 2015, 07:08,
So a community FM radio station's primary use would be the transmission of community information directly into the homes of the largest number of local inhabitants.

I like RS' idea of bed time stories and epilogue.... I think these would bring comfort and a sense of belonging to the community. A sense of community would be a cohesive force multiplier that would bring advantage. I would add the broadcast births, deaths marriages, relay of news items picked up from outside the community, of medical bulletins to the list of useful purposes.

Information collecting and verification needs consideration. Either face to face / physical contact messaging, or a combination of face to face and two way radio.

If the objective is to deliver information to people who only have low tech equipment (FM radios) we also have to consider that those people probably will not have the means to keep those radios charged. So next we need to consider ways to charge batteries centrally, or to provide simple charging devices (converted garden solar lamp chargers?) to all members of the community.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

7 November 2015, 10:03,
LS stating the intelligent obvious Smile the probable best MODERN option would be to ensure everyone has a leisure battery and small PV panel, but I did read in one post apoc novel that the community operated a BATTERY EXCHANGE program in conjunction with a rudimentary mail/courier service. EG every two the operators of the radio station delivered a charged up battery and take away the flat one,to the subscribers and in return were paid for with eggs, milk, veg etc from the listeners gardens. The courier also would deliver stuff between different members as bonus.