Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
general worry in the yard
7 November 2015, 16:33, (This post was last modified: 7 November 2015, 16:37 by bigpaul.)
RE: general worry in the yard
yes, that's sheeple for you, but as soon as any event happens they will be there with their hands out EXPECTING to be given.
Self Reliance has become a dirty word and Common sense went the way of the Dinosaur and the DoDo(pronounce doughdough) long ago.
so what they hell can we do to make them see the error of their ways? very little i suspect.

sheeple will always be sheeple, its ingrained into their consciousness, if they are brought up from birth depending on the system there is very little that will make them alter this behaviour. they will happily go to the grave with this same attitude.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 November 2015, 18:25,
Sunna, you're very wise to consider redundancy/unemployment in this day & age. Unfortunately it's all too common & all you can replace it with is zero hour contracts or serving fast food. I know if I were to lose my job it'd be a shtf situation for my family. I imagine it's the same for most employed people. All you can do is keep saving any spare cash, keep stocking food supplies & try to minimise any personal debt if you have it. I know I do & I try to split any spare cash between savings & debt overpayments.

Fingers crossed it all works out ok for you buddy.
7 November 2015, 18:48,
Thanks for the time and effort you have gone through, too post this Sunna there is some very relevant points highlighted, here unemployment is something I'm certainly preparing for, I've acquired more fire wood stocked up on a bit more coal, filled empty gas bottles, and started brewing my own white wine currently, aquaponics is something I'm looking at, but it's very early days, I've cleared some space for a garden patch too but again thank you !!
7 November 2015, 18:53,
Likewise spandex. I just blew my £2k savings (yes I know £2k isn't much to have as savings, but hey-ho. That's life) on a multi-fuel stove installed in my home along with plenty of wood & 500kg of coal. Likewise I've got 3 full large calor gas butane bottles ready for heating or cooking should I need it. My allotment is pretty deserted this time of year, however as I get more experienced I want to increase my planting range to include lots of winter veg aswell. My job is what most people would call secure, however you just never know nowadays.
7 November 2015, 18:59,
Thanks mate I've two log burners and fully reccomend them, and it's a nice feeling watching something you have not paid for burning and keeping you warm, thanks Geordie !!
7 November 2015, 19:50,
I fully intend on harvesting logs throughout 2016. A lad at work goes & chops people's trees down for free in exchange for the wood. He said I'm more than welcome to give him a hand in exchange for 50% of the wood. He hasn't bought wood or coal since 2012, just gets enough wood doing it that way.

Sorry Sunna, didn't mean to hijack your thread to go on about wood/multi-fuel burners.
7 November 2015, 19:52,
Thanks again
7 November 2015, 19:53,
Zero hour contracts even offend every one of my capitalist sensibilities, they are a disgrace to modern society in the way tied cottages were 100 years ago, I signed a petition to have them banned and the living wage to replace the minimum wage, its actually good prepping.

7 November 2015, 21:37,
(7 November 2015, 19:50)Geordie_Rob Wrote: I fully intend on harvesting logs throughout 2016. A lad at work goes & chops people's trees down for free in exchange for the wood. He said I'm more than welcome to give him a hand in exchange for 50% of the wood. He hasn't bought wood or coal since 2012, just gets enough wood doing it that way.

Sorry Sunna, didn't mean to hijack your thread to go on about wood/multi-fuel burners.

Rob, your post raises an interesting point about debt. I have been firmly in favour of avoiding debt, but I realise that it's a luxury that not everybody can afford. I'm now thinking that there are things that could be worth the debt risk - fuel is a good example, but even more so is a good chainsaw and stash of fuel/oil for it.

Being debt free is great, but being debt free and frozen to death is not so good.
7 November 2015, 22:19, (This post was last modified: 7 November 2015, 22:20 by Barneyboy.)
Nice one NR Smile for post 18
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!