Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dude ranching in the UK
8 November 2015, 12:49,
Dude ranching in the UK
Dude ranching hols in the UK ( Mary should be doing this)
+'s learning to ride and handle a nag or pony, handling and maintaining tack, horse maintenance, all good post SHTF skills like sailing, canoeing, riding quads etc

- 's crap weather, no coyotes to shoot at (maybe chavs), no canyons, giant steaks or shooting fun, and those utterly ridiculous looking riding helmets and clothes horsey types wear in the UK like out of a Jilly Cooper book

http://www.top50ranches.com/discover-ran...ngland.htm

8 November 2015, 18:29,
RE: Dude ranching in the UK
it will need to be a long holiday to learn enough to make you a viable horseman/woman from scratch.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
8 November 2015, 18:41, (This post was last modified: 8 November 2015, 18:42 by NorthernRaider.)
Naaaa disagree Mo, not talking about creating show jumpers, just getting people competent enough to saddle a horse, climb on and be able to steer and ride and and change gears etc, just think of the distances a pony mounted prepper can cover compared to . Just very basic essentials, my lad learned to drive a horse very basically in about 5 hours, mount, forward, back, sideways, up and down the gears, how to adjust the leather bits etc.

Mind you it wont work for me, every equine I ever meet always tries to bite me Smile

8 November 2015, 19:43,
Actually, NR, you are right. Learning to ride a horse should be compulsory for preppers as a very basic and useful skill. I broke a steady horse into driving in the space of one week - it's not rocket science.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
8 November 2015, 19:49,
Not rocket science, oh god I cannot stop thinking about a horse with a rocket up its................................. doing 80 MPH with Mo hanging on for dear life Smile

8 November 2015, 20:19,
been doing it a long time and I'm still learning.....I wouldn't trust someone to use or care for one on my ponies after a fortnights dude holiday.
8 November 2015, 20:21,
Nor would I normal Mo, nor would I but after TSHTF even a basic horsey riding skill could be handy.

8 November 2015, 20:23, (This post was last modified: 8 November 2015, 20:38 by Midnitemo.)
NR that sounds like your lad went ponytrekking...these are push button ponies , dead to the leg and virtually bomb proof specifically for the non skilled , most horses/ponies aren't like that

My problem with incorporating the ponies into my plan is they are 3 miles from my bug in , horses could be super useful post event but I can't stable them at home , I'd expect them to be stolen for meat or to use after an event.

if I lived semi rural with a suitable paddock they would figure very prominently in my plans...tried to buy a small paddock within walking distance of home but it was way to rich for my wallet.
8 November 2015, 21:41,
Keep looking Mon Ami something will turn up, you should chat with Mary about horses she is very well informed on that, as for me horses are just unprocessed pedigree chum Smile Smile the bloody things always try to bite me.