Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gardening successes/failures
16 November 2015, 22:00,
RE: Gardening successes/failures
Much appreciated, I prefer to hear real local experiences rather than generalised stuff off the MSM. We were told by an online EXPERT to leave out carrots in the ground until needed, so I did and the slugs ate them all. I try not to use slug pellets cos I've got Hedgehogs coming in every night from next door.

16 November 2015, 22:06,
Next April/may head to your local £1 shop & get yourself a few of the beer traps. I was late to the party on this one & my sprouts only just recovered enough to grow. The slugs round here love tesco value bitter Smile The trouble is it seems for every one I kill, another 5 come for the funeral. I'm going to have to resort to more drastic measures next year I think. I try to be as organic as possible, but sometimes you have to just bite the bullet.

If you grow your own spuds, don't fall for the lie that you need seed potatoes. Any old potatoes that have started sprouting will do just fine. Morrisons sell flower buckets 8 for 99p that are ideal for growing them in. Just add a few drainage holes in 1st.
16 November 2015, 23:01,
(16 November 2015, 22:06)Geordie_Rob Wrote: Next April/may head to your local £1 shop & get yourself a few of the beer traps. I was late to the party on this one & my sprouts only just recovered enough to grow. The slugs round here love tesco value bitter Smile The trouble is it seems for every one I kill, another 5 come for the funeral.

The beer traps really really do attract and kill the slugs, but the only thing is, is that I'm convinced that they actually just end up attracting all the slugs from the local area.

Also you don't need to buy traps, just bury a jam jar or cut the top off a plastic pop bottle, fill it with Beer (bitter) and watch it fill with slugs thereafter!
16 November 2015, 23:03,
My very early attempts at food growing were abysmal, first year proper I grossly over watered and only grew green and brown slime.

Year after I tried swedes but none grew, I spent the summer loyally tending what I thought WAS the swedes but it was wind blown seed rape.

More success this year with toms, carrots and onions though.

16 November 2015, 23:17, (This post was last modified: 17 November 2015, 00:51 by Devonian.)
I would suggest things that are easy to grow for the non-gardener include:

Courgettes (bumper crops from this with very little effort)
Tomatoes
Peas
Beans
Potatoes
Spinach

Be interested to know what others think are easy robust veggies which never (or rarely) fail to produce good crops........
17 November 2015, 22:00,
(16 November 2015, 23:17)Devonian Wrote: Be interested to know what others think are easy robust veggies which never (or rarely) fail to produce good crops........

I'll add Leeks and Broccoli.