Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First self defence class tonight
12 January 2012, 15:20,
First self defence class tonight
My 6 year old is taking his first self defence class tonight. I dont think its to young to start learning. At the week end i will be giving him some basic survival and bush craft lessons.
12 January 2012, 15:35,
RE: First self defence class tonight
(12 January 2012, 15:20)uks Wrote: My 6 year old is taking his first self defence class tonight. I dont think its to young to start learning. At the week end i will be giving him some basic survival and bush craft lessons.

Bloody well done, our ankle biter was a slight child when he was six so instead of martial arts first as is the norm, we started him off with archery, then SAA with an air rifle when he got to about ten years old, added crossbow SAA when he was twelve and now he has a bit of meat on his bones he is doing Karate at school and me teaching him unarmed combat at home.

12 January 2012, 19:56,
It's never too early to build up the right skills. I got mine with Judo first to learn how to fall then Karate for a more martial attitude. Started them when they were around 6 as well.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
12 January 2012, 22:58,
I did 3 years of BJJ at uni, then trained at Wolfs Lair, Widnes for another 2 years. That was some goooooooood self defense!

I'm thinking of starting Krav Maga....after pay day.

Will take the lovely lady along with me, if she's up for it.
13 January 2012, 00:46,
karate's good but if you don't like it try different clubs, instructor's and styles.
shotokan and wado ryu or the two most pop. but a better style is shukokai try tradional ju jitsu it's better than modern ju jitsu it's 1 million times better for armed and unarmed combat
i put my two young girls into karate and ju jitsu 4 years ago this feb they now hold 2 dan adult black belts in karate and 1st kyu in ju jitsu will be taking adult black belts soon this year but both train every day for two hours my oldest girls 6 years and youngest at 5 my youngest son started karate at 4 and just started ju jitsu
i don't think much of krav maga but russian systema is really good
i've got 27 years in martial arts it's my love that's prob way my kids are
any question just ask
to win the war, you must be willing to die
13 January 2012, 11:55,
Systema is great - if you can find a decent instructor.

The knife defence is a bit suspect though - while efficient, I don't want to wait until the blade is poking my skin, I'd rather deal with it before that point thankyou very much.

I still prefer Wing Chun
13 January 2012, 12:22,
Remember martial arts takes time to learn. Set up some basic self defence courses first to cover you for now. Martial arts taes a while to get to the bits you need.

I bought a few wooden practise knifes and we use them to practise. The average person doesn't need to meet Bruce Lee, just a chav with a sharp knife.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
13 January 2012, 12:48,
(13 January 2012, 12:22)Skean Dhude Wrote: Remember martial arts takes time to learn. Set up some basic self defence courses first to cover you for now. Martial arts taes a while to get to the bits you need.

I bought a few wooden practise knifes and we use them to practise. The average person doesn't need to meet Bruce Lee, just a chav with a sharp knife.

Actually I think the chances are greatest of a child needing self defence skills is in what passes for schools these days, Thats why though my lad is taught how to safely handle a knife I focus on teaching him self defence using items he will normally have in school. IE primarily the PEN, a good sold metal bodied pen, and a drawing compass, his bag and his sturdy school shoes, his cousin i tought to use her sold hard nylon hair brush she keeps in her school bag. I'm hoping to get my son a stainless steel 6 inch ruler to keep in his pocket which is useful for far more uses than measuring.

15 January 2012, 20:00,
Taught will more like showed him 6 different ways to light a fire today.
Bow drill, lighter & matches, flint & steel, battery, fire plow and fire piston. Show him tinder building a fire finish off lighting the fire he loved it what to learn something else now.
UKS
15 January 2012, 21:06,
Can I recommend teaching him the interconnections between what you're teaching him.

In which case, teach him fishing or something like that. Then you can show him how to use the fire to cook what you've caught, as well as how to purify water.