Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abandoned Cars: Survival Salvage Ideas
28 November 2015, 11:44,
Abandoned Cars: Survival Salvage Ideas
I found this article pretty interesting

http://www.theprepperjournal.com/2015/11...age-ideas/

I think the article needs a bit more work. What would you add to the mix in order to cannibalize a vehicle?
28 November 2015, 21:31,
RE: Abandoned Cars: Survival Salvage Ideas
Just read the post aviation fuel don't go off ,I didn't know that ,they did say that aviation fuel can't be used in a diesel car ,that is not true you can but you have to mix it with oil ,veg or sump .
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
28 November 2015, 22:20,
If you used the back box, exhaust and cat I'm sure I could rig up a still... Would need some additional piping (or more fannying around to remove from engine bay etc)
28 November 2015, 23:51,
I believe when the article spoke of aviation fuel, they were not referring to "Avgas" as was once used in piston engines, but turbine fuels such as Jet-A or JP8, which are kerosene based. I'm not sure if the antifoaming and other additives would be harmful, but most farm and industrial diesels would run OK on the stuff in the short term if you blended a bit of 2-cycle oil into the mix.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
29 November 2015, 09:46,
Leaf springs are a decent piece of steel, could be made into a machete / sword. Headlight reflectors could be used to start a fire. Windows make cold-frames. Bonnets could be sleds for dragging stuff around.

You can actually make quite a decent lathe / milling machine based around an engine block too, if you have the inclination. This allows you to make much more useful stuff in the long term.