Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air activity
13 January 2012, 16:26,
Air activity
Not sure if this is the right place for this.

Yesterday I saw a B-52 flying extremeley low over fairwood airport in Swansea.The runway there is 4000 feet long and the B-52 needs an absolute minimum of 8000 feet to take of unladen.
Today at Bristol international airport there are 2 C-17 globemasters practicing touch and go exercises.

In december last year HMS illoustrious was anchored in swansea bay for the day conducting launch and recovery exercises.

I don't want to read anything into this but there are no B-52s based in this country anymore,or globemasters and we have no naval base either.They are practising for somewhere that the coast and terrain is similar to the Bristol channel and has short runways close by.
Any ideas?
13 January 2012, 16:44,
RE: Air activity
Dont they pass there way through here on occasion from Germany or Guam, either that they are going to use the BUFFS to bomb Wales.

13 January 2012, 17:18, (This post was last modified: 13 January 2012, 17:20 by g79.)
They may well do ,but not below 100 feet.
At present the only place they operate from is in the US there are none based anywhere else.And if they are flying ,why?They are a very specific type of aircraft and very limited to in their abilities.In fact they only have one use.
13 January 2012, 18:06,
i think the only operational model is the 52F or G ithink with the big rotary drum type bomb bays used to drop laser guided munitions on Agfhanistan, but I was under the impression Predator drones had taken over the role. That probably means they have been intimidating the Iranians.