Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for Advice
14 December 2015, 12:16,
Looking for Advice
I'm looking for a smallish vehicle just for hauling items along rough but not muddy tracks. It needs to be able to carry one of the packs you put sand, gravel etc. in which is approx. 1 ton. I was looking at a land rover or something but that is overkill for what we want. Just want something cheap and cheerful for a few months while I set up my pals BOL.

Any thoughts?
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
14 December 2015, 12:33,
RE: Looking for Advice
A second hand quad plus trailer from a farmers supply dealer NOT a sports quad bike dealer, Up here some volunteers have been using kawasaki quads hauling trailers up the sides of the Pennines, loaded with paving stones, agregates sand and cement etc. You MAY be able to hire them, FAILING that hire a dumper truck.

14 December 2015, 12:47,
If it's only for a few months and to serve the short term build, I'd suggest you get an old beaten up, open back, pick up truck, be it a Nissan/Toyota/Ford/Mitsubishi etc, there are plenty around and should do exactly what you need for not a lot of money.
14 December 2015, 19:55,
If the bags are coming on a hiab lorry then an old tipper will be fine. I have a 1 ton Thwaite tipper, it is articulated so it turns on a sixpence, it's 4WD too, and has a hand started 2cyl Lister diesel that couldn't be any simpler. There is not a single piece of electrical wiring on the whole thing, no maintenance required, ignore it for two years then give it a spray of easy start and crank it over and off you go - at 10mph but with only 8hp it sips diesel.
14 December 2015, 20:22,
Following on from Steves post if you get a dumper with a twin lister diesel you end up with one of the most reliable and useful small engines ever built, they go for insane prices when set up as free standing engines and people use them to make ULTRA reliable generators and pumps, I used to drive a Lister truck for moving 2 ton drums of Chlorine around at ICI, they were built just after WW2 and were as good and reliable in the 1980s as they were new.

15 December 2015, 04:00,
Wish an affordable Lister diesel were obtainable in the US. Here the usual answer is a Farmall Cub tractor or smaller John Deere or Massey-Ferguson with trailer. On the new small farm tractors the Mahindra models from India get good reviews here, preferred ovsr the Russian Kubotas.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
15 December 2015, 22:20,
(14 December 2015, 12:16)Skean Dhude Wrote: I'm looking for a smallish vehicle just for hauling items along rough but not muddy tracks. It needs to be able to carry one of the packs you put sand, gravel etc. in which is approx. 1 ton. I was looking at a land rover or something but that is overkill for what we want. Just want something cheap and cheerful for a few months while I set up my pals BOL.

Any thoughts?

I have a transit pickup. it carrys a ton and it is quite surpising where it will go being front wheel drive. its a 02 plate and cost£500 and it has paid for itself alredy doing odd jobs for people
15 December 2015, 23:05,
for my money if there's no road use involved Steve is bang on the money...if you sell it when you're done you will get your money back
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!