Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
amazed
30 December 2015, 20:07,
RE: amazed
Yep, sharpen my own knives. I have various things to do it with - depending on the blade. Favourite is a vicious little carbon steel knife that gets REALLY sharp. Love it to bits!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
30 December 2015, 20:43,
RE: amazed
Knife sharpening for the widow ladies has always been a great bartering opportunity. I typically bring a toolbox with my Lansky sharpening jig, various stones and honing oil, and make an appointment ahead. We listen to classical music, solve the world's problems and have tea while I touch up the knifes. If clevers, etc. need more work I take them home to do and bring back the following week. Touching up the kitchen knives is always good for afternoon tea and a box of freshly picked veggies from the garden. A major regrind of a cleaver of French Chief's knife is good for a home cooked supper or pot of hot soup to take home.

My Mum passed away at age 96 some years ago and I have a soft spot for gray haired ladies with a gift for gardening or baking. One of my best friends met in this way, after several visits asked, "I have something else which needs proper cleaning and oiling. I have not touched it since my husband died" and she brings out a Colt Official Police 4" blued .38 Special revolver! So yes, I took it home, gave it a full detailed inspection and cleaning and brought her back a fresh box of ammunition.

She said, "Just lovely! Do you do shotguns?" and she brought out an Ithaca Model 37 police riot gun.

I said, "I would be pleased to check this for you too, but this gets too far out of hand, you must assure me that you don't have a Thompson or STEN hidden away somewhere...."

"No, but there is my Remington .22 rifle, but I know how to deal with that and use it to shoot foxes coming after my hens!"

American rural self reliance is wonderful.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA