Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raised Beds in the Veggie Patch
19 December 2015, 21:58,
RE: Raised Beds in the Veggie Patch
About 4ft wide so u can reach from each side without walking on them.have tried no dig on them and had excellent results. Google Charles dowding
20 December 2015, 11:08,
You can use lots of things. Planks, sleepers, concrete slabs as used in fencing. Use according to you wallet.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
20 December 2015, 21:39,
I don't use anything like that to be honest, my beds are just raised by the nature of adding continually and building up the height. I am convinced the old idea of digging and turning over the soil is destructive to the composition and health of your soil. By turning the soil in my opinion you get more weeds because you are covering them and allowing them to germinate, if you don't do that the weeds seem to take longer to get established in a raised bed, especially when you are mulching regularly. You have to be ruthless with weeds as the saying round here goes "one years seeding, seven years weeding", the only "weed" I will have and openly encourage is Clover, it is superb for fixing Nitrogen and I like to have the gaps between my raised beds covered in the stuff. I often dig/hoe it up late autumn/winter and turn it into my beds. Plus it tastes great in a salad!
22 December 2015, 08:48,
I agree with TH, digging the soil is one of the worst things you can do to the soil, this is now my 4th year of not digging and the difference in my soil on my allotment compared to the neighbouring plots has to be seen to believed, There is so much mycelia in the soil now that when i hoe the smell is gorgeous, just like woodland soil.
Anything by Charles Dowding is worth a read:

http://www.charlesdowding.co.uk/