Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Know Thy Enemy
29 December 2015, 18:53,
Know Thy Enemy
http://299days.com/

Know Thy Enemy (During the Collapse) – The Unprepared Neighbor
by Glen Tate on November 1, 2015

This guy is your enemy. (During the Collapse, that is.)

He doesn’t seem like it; in fact, he looks kind of wimpy. He’s not a jack-booted Homeland Security trooper breaking down your door to take your guns, so he can’t be a threat, right?

Wrong. Dead wrong. He’s a bigger threat to most of you than the government.

Of course the government will be a threat, especially in urban areas where they will congregate and hold onto power in their fiefdoms. Gangs will also be a threat (more on that in Part 2 of this series). My point is that the guy pictured above – the unprepared neighbor – is the one most likely to actually try to take your stuff and, if neccessary, hurt you and your family.

Who is this guy and why is he a threat?

He’s the guy who lives next to you. Just an average guy. Maybe you even gently tried to bring up the topic of prepping with him. He looked at you like you were from Mars and said, a little sarcastcially, “Oh, like those people on Doomsday Preppers?” Being a good (feminized) male in the suburbs, he thought preppers were a bunch of right-wing crazies who just had some weird fetish about (icky, icky) guns. He had plenty of opportunities to prepare but spent his time and money on concerts, trendy clothes, and whatever else most of America thinks is more important than taking care of their families in a crisis.

Then the Collapse hits. Very soon his high-end grocery store is out of goat cheese and the police are no longer functioning. After the shock and total disbelief wears off, he is terrified. Not just scared, but lose-your-mind hysterical. He’s been awake for several days because of all the gunfire he’s hearing, the baby has been crying, and his wife has been screaming at him for hours to “do something!” (This, of course, is a story in itself because she was the one who told him he can’t have a gun like Todd and Chloe in the 299 Days book series.) Your unprepared neighbor is not thinking rationally. He’s desperate. Studies show that after about 72 hours without food, people – even “nice” ones – will do horrible things to feed themselves and their families. He needs to shut her up, get some food, and feel safe. He’ll do anything to make that happen. Anything.

He remembers that conversation he had with you about “having a little bit of food in case the power goes out during the next ice storm.” He remembers seeing you putting a gun into your car that day you went to the shooting range. It all becomes “clear” to him: You need to give him food and a gun. It’s only fair. Besides, he tries to reassure himself, you are a nice guy. You’ll help.

He walks over to your place. He’s nervous and scared of what he’ll do. He politely knocks on your door. You don’t know it’s him so you don’t answer – home invasions are happening everywhere and the last thing you want to do is let anyone in.

The knocking gets louder. Then even louder; by now, it’s pounding. Who ever it is banging on your door is angry.

Finally, you recognize his voice.

Should you let him in?

How you answer this is a personal choice and depends on the circumstances. However, my point is that you must recognize this guy for what he is: your enemy. That’s kind of harsh, but here’s why.

You can’t solve his problem.

You can’t feed him and his family for the next few months or even years or guard his place all night instead of guarding your own. You just can’t. That was HIS job and he failed miserably. He feels humiliated that he didn’t take care of his family – and his wife won’t stop yelling at him. You are the reason (in his mind) that his problem isn’t getting solved. So, instead of you being able to solve his problem, you ARE his problem.

Whether or not you let him in and give him a little food, he will start to talk to all the other neighbors who, of course, are not prepared either. They will decide that you’re a “hoarder.” Maybe the authorities are out looking for “hoarders” or “illegal guns” and one of the neighbors suggests that they turn you in. You get the picture. This guy is your enemy.

What can you do? Two things.

First, recognize that a seemingly harmless guy like this will, indeed, be your enemy. Recognizing this is the first – and biggest – step in successfully navigating this problem.

Second, get the hell out of that neighborhood at the first sign of the Collapse.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
29 December 2015, 22:09,
RE: Know Thy Enemy
An excellent example of why we must practice OPSEC.

As for the nitwit described... Does he have useful skills? Is he trustworthy?
Can he safely mentored and turned into a useful asset, or is he a mouthy, whining, useless blood sucking parasite malbushim? If he has no skiils or materials, tools, equipment of value, ask if anybody would miss him if he disappeared?

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
30 December 2015, 12:03,
My new (old as I've owned it since 2007)house I've just moved into has a very diverse selection of neighbours, no young families though and quite an ageing demographic , next door adjoining(semi) 60's couple no kids/grand kids , next door detached single mid 50's serial loafer who inherited mothers house , over the road 80's couple and next door adjoining 70's couple...not ventured right up into the very end of the cul de sac but I've no kids/bicycles youth of any sort recently or ever...zoopla tells me few of the houses have changed hands since 1996 so it looks to me like my new abode is an elderly established community....whilst my tenant has been in place I've been upgrading the security in a piecemeal way and am just one super duper upvc door away from completion.....still rather be living out in the boonies though.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
30 December 2015, 12:20,
if the shtf [IF] everybody is your enemy after a few days maybe a week, when the penny drops no help coming aldi is not reopening then bang.
the average law abiding dad with kids will turn nasty this would be hide and wait time .
how long would it take to starve to death if your getting a bit here a bit their even some days a lot .
Survive the jive (youtube )
30 December 2015, 12:27,
you can go without food for a long time, but its fresh clean water that will be a problem once the mains go down, disease will strike people down long before starvation becomes a problem.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 December 2015, 12:38,
Just saying that my immediate neighbours appear to present very little threat to me but there is the other several thousand who live in my square mile to worry about.....I have a sealed garden with waterbutts , have bottled stock in the house and filteration for the grey water outside , I have a bladder for the bath(brand name escapes me)and there is a brook/stream less than 100m away if all else fails but I'm as pleased as I could be with my neighbours long may they live(and stay)just remembered tis a waterbob
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
30 December 2015, 12:43,
Simple I tell him to fuck off and if he bangs on my door like that again I will castrate him.
30 December 2015, 12:49,
yep your oldies I believe would be the sit and wait for help types its the 14yrs and up gang who would be out and about.

how long would it take for the general public to cotton on that you have to boil water before you can drink it , if the breakdown was not overnight would the government give out how to get bye info out on tv/radio.... yes.
Survive the jive (youtube )
30 December 2015, 15:50,
14 year olds around here had better learn to tread lightly if they want to reach 15!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 December 2015, 19:53,
Perhaps you like your neighbour, maybe he's a nice guy and you've shared a few beers over the years, you can spare a bag of rice and some water purification tablets.......just until things get back to normal.

Then his family arrive, he told them that he's OK because a neighbour knows how to survive. They bring their kids too, suddenly there's 10 of them and your neighbour is wondering why you don't give them some rice too.....you explain that you don't have much left, but they aren't convinced. You can't leave with your stash, they'll see you, if you stay where you are they'll eventually take it from you - they'll leave you nothing at all as punishment for "not sharing".

Now you wish that you:

a) Kept your mouth shut

b) Lived somewhere that everybody keeps chickens and pigs of their own.

c) Both.