Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
amazed
30 December 2015, 12:34,
amazed
I had an interesting conversation with my next door neighbour, a nice Woman who lives by herself so we keep an eye on her and help out when we can. During the chat she said she was going to get a new kitchen knife because hers had worn out, "bloody hell you must have had it years" I said, "no I've only had it three months, it's blunt now I need another one". "why don't you sharpen it" I replied, her answer made me stop and think " I don't have a man to do it for me". Thinking about this I realised there was a lot of truth to what she said, as long as I can remember my father always sharpened our knives, my grandad sharpened granny's and I sharpen my Wifes knives. This seems to be a "Mans job" according to our Ladies but for the life of me I can't understand why, maybe it has always been this way and I would be interested to know if any of our Sisters on here sharpen their own knifes.
30 December 2015, 12:57,
RE: amazed
I can vouch for at least one and a half females that sharpen there own , my partner run's her kitchen knives through a cheap gerber diamond type hand held sharpener kept in the cutlery draw(lansky gear is to complicated for her) and our young newly qualified nurse friend on her first visit to Charlies(sort of mega outdoors/ironmonger/country sports and DIY superstore....like Countrywide only cheaper &better)bought a Chinese dual grade water stone to sharpen her bits and pieces.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
30 December 2015, 13:20,
TH not surprised at all, I'm am surprised she does not think she should be given a new one pay for by the government.

30 December 2015, 14:24,
i sharpen my own but not with a steel. I never did get the hang of it so I've got one of those kitchen implements that does the job.
30 December 2015, 15:17,
wife sharpens her own knives and always has-long before we met.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 December 2015, 15:50,
mine may sharpen knives but the lawnmower and checking tyre pressures/oil/washer bottle etc....there all mysteries to her lol
30 December 2015, 15:52,
I sharpen my entire families knives.And the ones my work mates have.
It seems to be a dying art in this throw away society.
I actually find sharpening quite restful and I enjoy spending time doing it.
I hope you sorted your neighbors knife out for her Tartar.
30 December 2015, 16:28,
Wink  RE: amazed
(30 December 2015, 15:52)Talon Wrote: I sharpen my entire families knives.And the ones my work mates have.
It seems to be a dying art in this throw away society.
I actually find sharpening quite restful and I enjoy spending time doing it.
I hope you sorted your neighbors knife out for her Tartar.
I did mate, and plumbed her new washer in, and then put some anti virus on the old Girls Pc. I'm hoping when she croaks I get something in the Will lol. I too find sharpening knives and Swords etc very relaxing, but I do love to polish my boots and shoes. Does that make me weird? Then again I have an excuse Grandad was an RSM in the black Watch and the first thing he did when visiting was to look at your shoes/boots, and then spent a couple more seconds looking you up and down, you did not want to upset Gramps.
30 December 2015, 18:27,
Forgot to mention she is lethal with an iron ,shrinks and tint's clothes with gay abandon and think's a quick spray of your shoes with the pledge is acceptable when of out on a posh jolly!!!!!!! I can hear the ex squaddies weeping from here!
30 December 2015, 19:39,
I do a lot of sharpening since I started building things from wood, the Tormek sharpener has been fantastic. I recommend it to anyone who does a lot of woodworking.

http://www.tormek.com/en/

For my kitchen knives (Global Cromova18 ) and general purpose Moras I use the Sharpmaker - simple and effective.

http://www.heinnie.com/spyderco-tri-angle-sharpmaker

The sharpmaker is not the tool for the custom knifemaker, or to put the absolutely perfect angle on a designer blade, but it quickly sharpens a working blade to a razor edge. If space in your BOB is limited you can just take one of the ceramic triangles with you.