Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tales from the bottom shed
3 January 2016, 14:51,
RE: Tales from the bottom shed
Just finished the flat bread !

I had a quick look on YT for ideas ....this is what i did.

ingredients .

two cups of plain flour
half teaspoon of fine sea salt
half teaspoon of ground cumin
one cup of warm water
three tablespoons of olive oil

method.

put the flour into a 8" bowl
add salt and cumin
mix with a folk
add half the water and mix n fold adding water as you go ( i used about three quarters of a cup )

by hand i kneaded the mix for about 8 mins
i set this dough into a bowl ,covered with cling film and let it rest for half an hour

i removed it .....sprinkled some flour on the work top ...rolled a log about 14" long ....the cut it into eight.

rolled them into balls...give them a pat..then rolled them (pin) till they were about 8/9 " round ...about 2 mm thick.

using a frying pan...i heat it up HOT.... place the first one in the pan....i leave for a few secs then brush on some olive oil ....its now bubbling up...i flick it over and apply olive oil on ....i flick again .....i did turn the heat down....and made all eight ....from start to finish took me about 20 min ...if you deduct the rest time.(note to SD ) even cleaned up ...zero trace.. covert ..my arse !
THE VERDICT.

Something that's so simple and thousands of years old ....and so extremely delicious....i would encourage you all to try it....even if you try nothing else.... you have to try this ....i know i rant on a bit BUT this is a MUST HAVE for a prepper .....this is now a regular part of SS s life...going to try different herbs .SS
3 January 2016, 16:29,
Told You So Smile

3 January 2016, 16:30,
Next time try it in a pan or a skillet on a wood burner.

4 January 2016, 01:06,
(3 January 2016, 14:51)Straight Shooter Wrote: Just finished the flat bread !

I had a quick look on YT for ideas ....this is what i did.

ingredients .

two cups of plain flour
half teaspoon of fine sea salt
half teaspoon of ground cumin
one cup of warm water
three tablespoons of olive oil

method.

put the flour into a 8" bowl
add salt and cumin
mix with a folk
add half the water and mix n fold adding water as you go ( i used about three quarters of a cup )

by hand i kneaded the mix for about 8 mins
i set this dough into a bowl ,covered with cling film and let it rest for half an hour

i removed it .....sprinkled some flour on the work top ...rolled a log about 14" long ....the cut it into eight.

rolled them into balls...give them a pat..then rolled them (pin) till they were about 8/9 " round ...about 2 mm thick.

using a frying pan...i heat it up HOT.... place the first one in the pan....i leave for a few secs then brush on some olive oil ....its now bubbling up...i flick it over and apply olive oil on ....i flick again .....i did turn the heat down....and made all eight ....from start to finish took me about 20 min ...if you deduct the rest time.(note to SD ) even cleaned up ...zero trace.. covert ..my arse !
THE VERDICT.

Something that's so simple and thousands of years old ....and so extremely delicious....i would encourage you all to try it....even if you try nothing else.... you have to try this ....i know i rant on a bit BUT this is a MUST HAVE for a prepper .....this is now a regular part of SS s life...going to try different herbs .SS

Thanks SS, will definitely give this one a go when I get the chance Smile
9 July 2016, 10:12,
I've a bread maker at home but often make Bannock bread or Chapati's when camping, both easy to make.
ATB
Harry
29 March 2017, 20:05,
Take a look on YT (jenny can cook ) try the no knead bread ....type of dutch oven is used....its absolutely delicious .....crusty perfect bread loaf uuuummmmm where's my index finger gone ?