Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 Food Storage Items That Will Last Longer Than Any Apocalypse
27 April 2016, 03:19,
RE: 5 Food Storage Items That Will Last Longer Than Any Apocalypse
Oops soz no not bought from the linked outfit,thought you meant conserva de
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
27 April 2016, 13:29,
I'm with BP on tinned corned beef. 5 year old tins now being used and absolutely no problems whatsoever. These get stored in plastic boxes in outbuildings. Because of zero corrosion of the tins at this time, I'd give them 10 year shelf life in the store.

SS: we avoid tinned fruit completely. Fruit is either dried or bottled. The bottled stuff lasts pretty well. So far nothing over 5 years in the store so that's as far as I can vouch for it.

Tomatoes: This year we are planning on making and kilner jar bottling our own puree. Otherwise we've been having success over winter with a variety called Big Boy ( beef tomatoes) that can be stored green for many, many months and then ripened in a draw with bananas or ripe tomatoes over a day or so. Try it, you might be surprised how well this system works.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

27 April 2016, 13:52,
I will indeed try it LS thank you ! ......i am off to Aldie's in a bit....oranges are on offer......i intend to dehydrate them along with any other stuff on offer , this is a great way to reduce storage space, anything in abundance from the garden is dehydrated where possible, dehydration is coming more and more to our front line food preps.....i would encourage anyone to buy one ( a dehydrator) and start getting more prepps for less room ......its bloody easy......wait till you hydrate them back up.....yummy !
27 April 2016, 14:04,
PS i too am eating corned beef 4 years out of date....in fact corned beef pie for din dins tonight ! yaba daber doo....only my OH can make this....i even remove my dentures (after the last risk assessment ) i cleared the plate in 1.29 secs including four slices of bread , i know girls....what a guy !
28 April 2016, 09:11,
We're drying fruit and mushrooms by thinly slicing and then laying out on drying frames in the loft. We also do the same with herbs

Fruit and mushrooms take about a week of hot weather to become well dried, and herbs as little as one hot day's worth in mid summer.

The drying trays are just wooden frames with nylon open weave curtain net stretched across them. This allows for good convection of air, speeding the drying process and preventing mould.

generally we go through the complete stock of dried fruit over winter, but mushrooms get used for years and years.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580