Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PMR446 v Walkie Talkies
9 January 2016, 12:18,
RE: PMR446 v Walkie Talkies
BTW you mentioned that you currently use CB.

BF888 /UV5r type radios if used for vehicle to vehicle coms with external antennas have pretty much identical range as conventional CBs.

My ones have battery eliminators which power the units directly from the car's 12v system. I also use a speaker mike.

The downside compared to CB is that the display screen is too small to read clearly when driving, and there is no possibility for changing channel from the hand mike.

For me, having a single unit that I can use in car and also on foot is most useful.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

9 January 2016, 12:59,
Even I the senile technophobe can manage UV5Rs and I even managed to reprogram them using CHIRP, Note whilst it is possible to reprog UV5Rs by hand its much easier to do it using the free CHIRP program.

9 January 2016, 13:47,
Thanks guys, lots to digest there....
9 January 2016, 15:14, (This post was last modified: 9 January 2016, 15:14 by River Song.)
Considering the UV5R's. Not wanting to hijack thread but
if I get the required cable.

1. Which version of CHIRP to download?

2. Is there a blond-proof set of instructions on how to program the channels with a recommended list of frequencies both pre and post SHTF considering that post SHTF. TPTB will be too busy shi...ng themselves rather than getting out their DF equipment :-)
9 January 2016, 15:38,
RS

Generally just download the latest version of Chirp and you'll be good to go.

Just one thing to watch out for: some data cables re being shipped with pirate Prolific driver chips hang up on some operating systems.. If that happens a new cable with a genuine prolific chip is required.

To get you started there are a couple of programming image files available on the download section of the main SUK site. These are intended as a starting point for two configurations one for pre SHTF and one for post event.

does this help
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

9 January 2016, 22:30,
I'm very keen to get this com's issue sorted but I can't find anything that I'm happy with , I've now handled a uv5r and I was pretty underwhelmed , it felt cheap and toylike , there was a forum member whose company were using them as onsite com's , I wonder how they lasted, are they still going? soz I have a shocking memory I forget who it was , I want all the things the uv5r can do just in a better more intuitive package , I've been looking at a yaesu that has the option of lithium powerpack and 8xaa dry cell's , I would like to talk to an expert and see/handle the kit in the flesh , anybody suggest a retailer who carries a large selection of these kind of transceivers where I can go , don't mind travelling a bit and I know I'm going to have to pay significantly more than the unit price of a uv5r
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
10 January 2016, 04:05,
Righto....just spent the evening/morning(I'm on nights)researching baofeng alternatives , reading reviews and blogs , this is what's come to light , I now think I want a Yaesu FT60 E transceiver(well 3 or 4 actually but I will start with one) a Yaesu FB25A battery pack converter to run on 6 X AA Dry cell batteries and a better antennae in the form of a Diamond SRH771....that lot comes in at about £135 in total , could add another spare battery for about another £20....more than double probably nearer triple what the equivalent Baofeng set up would cost but I'm not smitten at all by the Baofeng....thought's?
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
10 January 2016, 11:33,
Midnight,

If you can afford the Yaesu route, it will for sure beat the Baofeng stuff hands down.

Comparable transceivers from Yaesu that are currently available in Uk are

Vx3e £130 Nevada Radio
0.1 -3.0w miniature radio with full HF receive capability

Vx6e £ 165 Martyn Lynch
As above but full submersible and o,5 - 5w output

FT 60e £130 Maplins
Basic 0.5 -5w output

All of the above radios are transmit restricted to the amateur bands. If you want full band coverage you'll need to find a supplier who sells "opened up radios" there is a merchant on e-bay from Greece who does this, but I do not know how reliable he is.

Also bear in mind the cost of power packs for the Yaesu radios, likewise the cost of accessories. They are many many times greater than those for the Baofeng. Of course they are far better manufactured and will last longer as well.

A huge number of amateurs, me included use Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood gear, but we also use Baofengs and the like in situations where our precious radios might get damaged.

There are also higher grade chinese manufactures Wouxan and TYT for example who make products that are starting to give the main ham manufacturers from Japan a run for their money
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580