Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
EDC Design and Construction
15 January 2012, 22:54,
EDC Design and Construction
Over the next few months I'm going to be enjoying a few projects. One of which is designing the perfect EDC for me.

I'll be keeping this thread updated with what I am thinking and I'll also be posting photos of the equipment when I get it.

Things already decided for the EDC:

1 litre of water

1 'Scythe 13' poncho pack
(1 military poncho, 10 tent pegs wrapped in 15 meters of paracord, all held in one poncho bag)

2-3 Space blankets

1 First Aid Kit

1 Pack hand sanitiser

1 Pack antiseptic

1 Torch

1 Pair of scissors

2-3 Builders dust masks

1 Pack water purifier tablets

2 Kendel Mint Cakes

2 Protein Bars

5 Normal chocolate bars (Mars, Yorkie, Snickers, etc)

2 Packs of tinned mints

1 Roll Gaffer-tape (cardboard inner taken out)

1 Multi tool (probably Gerber)

1 Knife (legal of course ;-) )

1 Spring loaded glass punch

1 Pair of kevlar gloves (BladeRunner brand)

1 Pair of protective sun glasses

Here is my reasoning behind each item:

1 litre of water
I really don't need to explain this!

1 'Scythe 13' poncho pack
(1 military poncho, one poncho bag, 10 tent pegs, and 15 meters of paracord)
This is for an emergency shelter more than for protection from the elements. I'll probably be wearing my waterproof jacket, or have it with me, so this is an item incase my GHB (kept in the car) is compromised.

2-3 Space blankets
These are again self explanitary. I'll only bring 2 of them out if there is an emergency situation. To help people in shock and that kind of thing. It would be unwise to get the third one out, but that is again in regards to my GHB being compromised.

1 First Aid Kit
I'm not explaining this, except that it would also be where I would keep my knife. That would make it seem more legitimate to carry a knife if it was with a FAK.

1 Pack hand sanitiser
This is incase of cuts, or if I'm tending to a person with an injury, or a child birth in an elevator (we've all seen it on TV at some point), or anything that requires cleanliness.

1 Tube of antiseptic
This is pretty much the same reason as above. But antiseptic would be used for treating things like a knife or a needle if doing emergency stitching on a person.

1 Torch
To see around if you're in a building and there's a power out or something like that.

1 Pair of scissors
These are incase of biological, chemical, or radioactive attack. Clothes should not be taken off over the head, they should be cut off (common sense) so a pair of scissors would be needed.

2-3 Builders dust masks
Imagine being on the streets in NY on 9/11 and having a dust mask! Enough said.

1 Pack water purifier tablets
Having 1 litre of water is good, but having more....better.

2 Kendel Mint Cakes
For when you need some sugar. Helps if you are in shock or if someone around you is.

2 Protein Bars
These are generally incase of GHB compromisation.

5 Normal chocolate bars (Mars, Yorkie, Snickers, etc)
These are a HUGE boost not just to energy, but also to moral and things like that. You have a few of them incase there are a few people that you are with. Sometimes it's good to share the wealth.

2 Packs of tinned mints
These are those extra little things that just make a day that little bit better. It might seem really stupid an item, but imagine you are stuck in a lift for HOURS. Mmmm, a mint. A small bit of pleasure that lasts a while. It's all about moral sometimes.

1 Roll Gaffer-tape (cardboard inner taken out)
There are so many uses it's unbelievable. A massively useful item when used with the ponchos. Also good to block up air vents or the alike if you need to enclose yourselves for a time period. Also, as grim as it may seem, if you have to wrap dead bodies in plastic sheets, after a huge accident or something, you don't want the plastic reopening.

1 Multi tool (probably Gerber)
A multi tool has so many uses, if you can't think of any, you're probably thinking of the wrong item. I'd go for a pair that had wire cutters. Pliers would be great, but if you can't have both, I'd rather have wire cutters.

1 Knife (legal of course ;-) )
A knife can be used for medical emergencies, cutting away clothing, building a shelter, cutting bandage, cutting cable ties, self defense, and much more.

1 Spring loaded glass punch
If you're stuck in a shop when something huge happens, like a fire, and everyone is rushing for the door, I'll go through the window. What about if you are on the outside and see people trying to get out? How about a medical emergency and you need stuff from a closed shop? Remember, it's not looting if you leave a note.

1 Pair of kevlar gloves (BladeRunner brand)
These are great for dealing with the glass in the above situation and most other situations that involve sharp objects and slashing motions.

1 Pair of protective sun glasses
There is a special reason for the wording. They are protective glasses first, then secondly they are sun glasses. Again, same as the dust masks, imagine how great eye protection would have been in 9/11

Any other ideas please pass them on.

Messages In This Thread
EDC Design and Construction - by Scythe13 - 15 January 2012, 22:54
RE: EDC Design and Construction - by NorthernRaider - 15 January 2012, 23:05
RE: EDC Design and Construction - by Scythe13 - 15 January 2012, 23:38
RE: EDC Design and Construction - by NorthernRaider - 16 January 2012, 10:31
RE: EDC Design and Construction - by Scythe13 - 16 January 2012, 10:42
RE: EDC Design and Construction - by NorthernRaider - 16 January 2012, 11:06
RE: EDC Design and Construction - by Scythe13 - 16 January 2012, 11:47
RE: EDC Design and Construction - by NorthernRaider - 16 January 2012, 11:51
RE: EDC Design and Construction - by Scythe13 - 16 January 2012, 12:43
RE: EDC Design and Construction - by NorthernRaider - 16 January 2012, 13:21