Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
EDC Design and Construction
15 January 2012, 23:38, (This post was last modified: 16 January 2012, 00:01 by Scythe13.)
RE: EDC Design and Construction
I understand that point of view. I did expect that as a response from at least one person.

I would always want a litre of water with me. I couldn't imagine being without at least a half litre bottle. That would be incase of a chemical attack and you need to wash the crap out of your eyes and off your exposed skin. Again, go back to 9/11, the amount of debris in the air! That's going to kill your eyes. Katrina, what if you were in a tall enough build to survive the impact of the water, but what are you going to drink? The tap water wouldn't be safe for long.

Same as with a small first aid kit. It is as much about looking after my own injuries. If something hits and I need to look after myself, a FAK would be idea. 2 of the Space Blankets would be in the FAK. But space blankets are small and light enough, so it's all good. Imagine if you needed to patch up someone up, but you didn't have a kit or anything sanitising to use! Guess where the sanitary items would be kept. But handwash stuff would be in a seperate area.

The knife, multi tool, and torch would be in seperate areas of the bag. Multi tool for quick access, knife in with the FAK, and the torch would be in a designated place along with a lighter, same as all my bags have. We seem to be totally agreed on those items.

The gaffa tape won't take up much space once the inside of the roll is removed. It's an item that I have a feeling I would regret not having, if anything happened. I'd probably take a few cable ties as well, but they are small enough.

'Scythe's Poncho Pack' is probably the most bulky item other than the water, but also the most useful, other than the water. It's not a heavy item though. So that would be a space constraint issue, not a weight issue.

The main things between my EDC and most peoples, seems to be the water and poncho pack.

I am happy to admit that the pack is very similar to my GHB. But that is because I have my EDC as an 'uncomfortable' back up for my GHB. What I mean here is that my GHB will get me home in relative comfort. I would be able to keep moving, stay fueled, hydrated, dry, and warm, with my GHB. I would be okay for 2-3 days of walking with my GHB, as long as I could find running water. That would be a relatively comfortable way to get home. If you can consider walking for 2-3 days comfortable. The idea that my EDC is also an 'uncomfortable' GHB is simply that. I could use it as a GHB, but I would not be comfortable. I would be hungrier, thurstier, colder, and as a result I would be more emotionally challenged by getting home. So really, I would be more UNCOMFORTABLE with the situation. But I would survive.

I'm based in Bristol for my job. I live a reasonable distance away from Bristol, so I drive in to work. Let's say I was parked in a multi-story car park and go around town. I'm there shopping, and I'm in the middle of the shopping centre. There is an earthquake, or something happens and buildings around start collapsing. Let's say I survive. I've used the water to wash my eyes out, I'm wearing the glasses and gas mask, so I can move safely. Next, I need to get out.
Simple...I walk where possible.
I get out and need to get to my GHB.....only one problem.....the multi story collapsed as well. My GHB is crushed, along with my BOB!
TRAGEDY!!! What do I do?
I need to get home. First thing I need to get home....shelter from the elements....Scythe's Poncho Pack.
Then it's just a case of starting the walk, finding water along the way, fill the bottle up, add a tablet.....I'm good to go.
One item that will certainly become a stable of my EDC and probably most other bags:

http://heinnie.com/Bags-and-Wallets/Nite...-391-2101/

Messages In This Thread
EDC Design and Construction - by Scythe13 - 15 January 2012, 22:54
RE: EDC Design and Construction - by NorthernRaider - 15 January 2012, 23:05
RE: EDC Design and Construction - by Scythe13 - 15 January 2012, 23:38
RE: EDC Design and Construction - by NorthernRaider - 16 January 2012, 10:31
RE: EDC Design and Construction - by Scythe13 - 16 January 2012, 10:42
RE: EDC Design and Construction - by NorthernRaider - 16 January 2012, 11:06
RE: EDC Design and Construction - by Scythe13 - 16 January 2012, 11:47
RE: EDC Design and Construction - by NorthernRaider - 16 January 2012, 11:51
RE: EDC Design and Construction - by Scythe13 - 16 January 2012, 12:43
RE: EDC Design and Construction - by NorthernRaider - 16 January 2012, 13:21