Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fine tuning Wooden arrows.
10 June 2016, 15:21,
Fine tuning Wooden arrows.
Many traditional archers use wooden shafts, and generally buy a dozen then make them into arrows. This approach is ok for most, but will never let you realise the full potential of a well matched set of arrows. Wood being organic in origin has a lot of variations in grain, density and stress, and arrows made by the above method will have a range of weights and flight characteristics.
We need to reduce variability and match our shafts as closely to the "perfect arrow" for our bow as we can.
The first step is to match our shafts by weight. Advanced techniques like "barreling" and "Fishtailing" are not needed, but would be a great asset to learn for the future. If you have a favourite wooden arrow, the one that flies the best, note down its weight. Try to get your new shafts as close to this weight as is possible. Do it by lighly sanding the shaft in an even handed manner. This may take some time as the variation in weight (grains) between twelve shafts can easily exceed five grains. Pour yourself a good glass of whatever you fancy and sand away, I find it very therapeutic, but I'm a bit twisted like that.
When your shafts are all matched in weight, you should also weigh your arrowpoints. It might say 125grains but you would be surprised at the variation. Now you have matched shafts and points----well done!
The next stage is to place the nock across the grain of the shafts, many people just glue them on. Wooden arrows bend differently when pressure is applied "With" and "Across" the grain of the shaft. Applying your nocks across the grain ensures your shafts are all bending uniformly.
These simple methods will pay you back with greater accuracy and confidence=====Happy shooting.
10 June 2016, 16:16,
RE: Fine tuning Wooden arrows.
Fletching is a skill I wish I had... one day perhaps.
ATB
Harry