Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More preppers out there than we thought
22 February 2016, 09:55,
More preppers out there than we thought
http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/64...vive-guide

UK population does not have the skills to survive in post-apocalyptic world

A THIRD of the population of the UK has prepared itself for an apocalypse but the majority of people don’t have the skills to survive afterwards.

(36% of us have BOBS)
Some 36 per cent of Britons keep a ‘grab bag’ full of essentials in case of a disaster, says a study led by the University of Leicester’s Dr Lewis Dartnell.

However, few of these bags are full of necessities, the report warns.

Some 61 per cent of these people have packed food, 53 per cent packed medical supplies, and the third most common packed item is a mobile phone, with 47 per cent planning on taking theirs.

The report – released in conjunction with science event The Big Bang Fair – advised that items such as a fire-starting kit, water bottle, small knife, rope and food should all be the top priorities.

Additionally, it says that people hoping to survive a disaster should head to the supermarket or a golf course.

A supermarket has enough food to sustain someone for an average of 55 years, while a golf course would be abundant in golf buggies, which could be used to store generated electricity, which would be extremely useful in trying to rebuild a society.

Dr Dartnell said: “Clearly we shouldn’t be worrying twenty four seven about a potential apocalypse but it’s interesting to take a snap shot of where we are now and how we’d fare – individually and as a society.

“People’s survival instincts are strong but without a greater focus on [Science, technology, engineering and maths] skills, the speed at which we’d return to ‘society as we know it’ would be seriously impeded.

“Rather than duck and cover, the country needs to know how to stand and recover from any disaster.”

However, only a fifth of people knew how to make chemical substances like fuel and only a third had the knowledge to repair engines and machines.

Paul Jackson, Chief Executive of EngineeringUK, added: “Many of the skills required to rebuild communities in a post-apocalyptic world reflect those held by the professionals currently addressing the global challenges of sustainable energy, clean water supply and food security.

“Apocalypse or not – these will be critical to our future."

22 February 2016, 12:52,
RE: More preppers out there than we thought
forget about Resurrecting "society" post apocalypse, society as we know it may not be possible for years, decades, not in our life times, maybe never.
there seems to be a tendency for "preppers" to amass vast amounts of "stuff" but all this stuff-including food-is finite, once its eaten, used up, broken, that's it, its all gone for good, or at least the foreseeable future.
without skills and knowledge to sustain them, many people are just delaying the inevitable.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 February 2016, 13:38,
I would agree with the findings of the report, most sheeple are indeed waking up to a lot of stuff going on around them and from that ...look at world events....its not very long before they realize they better do something about surviving...WHAT ?....take your pick....does not matter to me so much, this is not i don't care quite the opposite....the more i walk this road the more it becomes ever plain, learn more old skills....as BP points out ..tins of beans is okay for the short term ...but what then...do you know HOW to sustain you and yours ...i can tell you ....it will involve lots of hard work ....even if you know what you'r doing.
22 February 2016, 14:36,
SS agree with you, I'm also more optimistic about our chances these days since we have seen so much erm? interaction or integration or cross sharing of skills, interests and practices from preppers, off gridders, homesteaders, allotmenteers, small holders and the huge resurgence in people learning the old traditional skills. I still think a collapse is likely but I think we are slowly but surely becoming more resiliant and not before time. EG a couple of our colleges are now running vocational and leisure courses in stuff like blacksmithing, candle making, leatherwork, weaving, knitting, traditional carpentry etc and the growing numbers of people going more semi self sufficient is a welcome boost.

22 February 2016, 16:45,
There is a definite interest in old skills, perhaps because people are getting bored with IT and computers in general.

My two sons came to stay last weekend, we built a forge from scrap parts and forged three knives from old ring spanners. It was fun, and easier than I expected.
22 February 2016, 16:46,
The DM has picked up on this story as well
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...event.html

22 February 2016, 16:48,
Steve, up this are we have living history museums like Preston Park and Beamish where they actively practice traditional skills from farming with horse drawn ploughs, maintaining steam engines ( rail and road) etc they are hugely popular and these must contribute to the growing interest.

22 February 2016, 16:59,
That's really good news NR ...our own putting on courses and they should be applauded and indeed advertise the fact on here along with course schedules dates and of course prices....I see this could bring along some problems with security issues ...but this maybe overcome somehow ? what a great advantage though if it could.
This really is the way to go....by participating YOU will definitely learn faster ...and not forget, and enjoy the people that teach you.
bloody great stuff !
22 February 2016, 17:51,
Interesting. I don't believe that the general public have what we would call a Grab Bag. Just a bag containing credit cards, a phone and some cash.

It does however show people are starting to think the right way.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
22 February 2016, 18:18,
more along the lines of an overnight bag, at best, I would have thought.
I don't believe the %'s quoted, more massaging to make the piece sound interesting,more to do with newpapers sold than prepping.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.