Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catapult for hunting post SHTF
28 February 2016, 13:37,
RE: Catapult for hunting post SHTF
(28 February 2016, 12:56)Rocks Wrote: progress to hunting small game once I get my aim in. Any recommendations?

Yes, I recommend you hunt small game with an air rifle - it's more humane and legal too.
28 February 2016, 14:20,
(28 February 2016, 13:37)Steve Wrote:
(28 February 2016, 12:56)Rocks Wrote: progress to hunting small game once I get my aim in. Any recommendations?

Yes, I recommend you hunt small game with an air rifle - it's more humane and legal too.

Due to my location using an air rifle is problematic. And hunting with a catapult is perfectly legal. And a headshot is human, whether it's apellet or a steel BB.
If you don't have anything productive to add, maybe don't?
28 February 2016, 14:51,
This is outside my expertise but I remember people hunting with slingshots who absolutely rave about replacing the standard rubber bands with stuff from Theraband which is supposed to be the mutts nuts of catty elastics, They list assorted types on Amazon and I think GOLD is supposed to be the best.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Theraband-Gold/d...shot+bands

28 February 2016, 14:52,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/BloodShot-Powerf...NBBG46N1B8

28 February 2016, 14:59,
Why not just make one Rocks....its very easy..Charles has posted how ....and it costs bugger all just your time and some small skills, have a practice... post shtf you will have too anyway, take a look on YT loads on there.....have a go at a blowpipe at the same time....all great survival skills to learn and simple to do.
28 February 2016, 16:21,
(28 February 2016, 14:20)Rocks Wrote:

Due to my location using an air rifle is problematic. And hunting with a catapult is perfectly legal. And a headshot is human, whether it's apellet or a steel BB.

I'm not sure you grasp the realities of hunting small game. However, you'll soon learn.
28 February 2016, 16:31,
Thanks, thinking buy one first, develop skill with BB, then stones then progress to making catapults etc.
28 February 2016, 16:34,
(28 February 2016, 16:21)Steve Wrote:
(28 February 2016, 14:20)Rocks Wrote:

I'm not sure you grasp the realities of hunting small game. However, you'll soon learn.

Hmm, I've hunted all sorts of animals, including humans, so I know a little bit. You really seem to have a chip on your shoulder, don't you? I posted a question about catapults, in a sub-forum called 'bows sticks and stones' in a survivalist forum.
Have I stepped on your toes or something?
28 February 2016, 16:46,
Rocks have you considered the hybrids IE slingbows, they are a quality sling shot that people fit an rchery whisker biscuit arrow rest to so the weapon can be used to fire steel BBs and arrows ?

28 February 2016, 18:07,
(28 February 2016, 16:34)Rocks Wrote: Hmm, I've hunted all sorts of animals, including humans, so I know a little bit. You really seem to have a chip on your shoulder, don't you? I posted a question about catapults, in a sub-forum called 'bows sticks and stones' in a survivalist forum.
Have I stepped on your toes or something?

No chips, no toes, no offence meant.

I'll write why I think the catapault is a bad choice for hunting small game. If you don't want to know then skip now.

You will dedicate considerable time and effort to learning to use a tool that is obsolete for the task. It's your time, of course, but in my opinion it's in the same league as learning to make flint arrowheads.

In a shtf situation you will have much more pressing things to do than spend all day trying to kill a rabbit with a catapault, and make no mistake, when everybody ( and their dog ) is after a rabbit stew those rabbits aren't going to let you get close. If you do manage to get in range, maybe after 15 damp minutes crawling through the grass, you'll be gutted to see your stone fly over the rabbits head because you're firing from an awkward position. Shooting from prone is out, and shooting around cover difficult.

You will have read that the catty was a favourite poachers tool, and it's true that if you want to steal a few stocked pheasants from the local shoot it will do the trick. Pheasants are extremely stupid, used to being fed by humans, and often so preoccupied with courting displays that you can catch them in your hands. 99% of the pheasants you see now might be dead shortly after humans stop rearing them, I think this because I tried to raise them in my own woodland and they seemed to have an uncanny knack of finding a hungry fox. I would often find a pile of feathers on the path, with an appreciative and sizeable fox turd beside them. No matter how many foxes I shot, more would come in for the easy meal.

Give a poacher the choice and he'll choose a crossbow, air rifle or silenced shotgun. I think you would be advised to do the same.