Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urban Food in SHTF
17 January 2012, 10:50,
RE: Urban Food in SHTF
OH and i were talking about Badgers, anyone eaten Badger Ham??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
17 January 2012, 11:10,
Badger was very popular in the middle ages, and was classed as a "gourmet" type food. I would be interested to know what it tastes like.
17 January 2012, 11:51,
Well we could be finding out very soon. One badger cull coming up. Although I do now someone that has eaten it and says it is very nice.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
5 October 2012, 23:30,
(17 January 2012, 11:51)Skean Dhude Wrote: Well we could be finding out very soon. One badger cull coming up. Although I do now someone that has eaten it and says it is very nice.

Did you ever get to taste Badger and what did you think?
Thinking about other food sources, I know in a lot of countries Mexico, Thailand, China (and quite a few others) use insects as a part of their diet. A wide range of Insect species are eaten ranging from grasshoppers, meal worms and various larval stages. All these insects are from tropical climates so we can't use them here, would there be any UK insects that we could rely on as food source.
5 October 2012, 23:37,
Badger ham was on the tv show jimmys forest.
Was a roadkill badger,they used a popular post ww2 recipe. They said it was nice until you got the after taste could have been the badger or the way they made it.
The russians like badger kebabs.
5 October 2012, 23:42,
(5 October 2012, 23:37)Metroyeti Wrote: Badger ham was on the tv show jimmys forest.
Was a roadkill badger,they used a popular post ww2 recipe. They said it was nice until you got the after taste could have been the badger or the way they made it.
The russians like badger kebabs.

So its pretty "Gamey" then eh.
6 March 2013, 10:39,
I very much doubt there is more to eat in any town than where I live. It's a job to drive down the road without hitting something. Mainly pheasants and partridge, the place is alive with them. There are feeding bins everywhere for miles and miles around here and I'm glad the landed gentry like to pop down here for some sport because it means there is a huge population of game birds. There are also loads of deer, pigeon, crows etc.
Even the Red Kite population has exploded in recent years due to easy availability of food. There is a place I walk my dog where I can watch them up to 20 at a time wheeling above my head. There's also a forest with walking distance (6 -7 miles). Nope, I'd much rather be out here than in some hell-hole city or large town. The supermarkets would be stripped within hours if things got really nasty. People have a lot in common with locusts in my experience.
Power to the people!
6 March 2013, 10:50,
(6 March 2013, 10:39)Wolfiesmith Wrote: People have a lot in common with locusts in my experience.

you said it, there was a Pear tree near where we used to live, we'd take maybe 3 or 4 at a time, just enough for the 2 of us, neighbour went down and stripped the whole damn tree,( i'm talking 3 or 4 carrier bags full) so there was nothing for anyone else, greedy cow!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 March 2013, 13:05,
Neighbours = garbage.
Suburban neighbours= stranger- danger.
6 March 2013, 13:15,
There was a recent thread concerning the eating of pigeons wood/feral etc, and this got me thinking about other flying sources of food in an urban setting. I know from reading about famines in China that the population caught and ate thousands of Sparrows, and no doubt our native species are edible just the same, but I was wondering about the edibility of birds like Starlings which are present in great numbers today. Most of the Starlings I notice round here tend to eat a large amount of Berries and insects rather than Human leftovers. My question is are they edible and has anyone tried one? Why don't you try one yourself I hear you say!!!! well I aint that hungry at the Moment. but it would be interesting to find out. BIG Paul. I heard you will eat anything with a heartbeat so how about trying one out for the CorpsTongue