Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Tip
13 March 2016, 20:34,
Quick Tip
Recently reorganising my storage cupboard, I was thoroughly fed up withg trying to find the best/use by dates on the tins. That print is so small on some tins I needed magnification to see it. Problem solved by grabbing a permanent marker and writing the date on the top of the tin. Easy.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
14 March 2016, 07:44,
RE: Quick Tip
Been doing the same for some time, for those items that we go through on a regular basis that have a long shelf life I tend to put the date that the item was bought just to make sure first in the store cupboard is first out.
14 March 2016, 08:57,
rotate, rotate, rotate.
put the new items you've just bought to the back of the shelf.
bring the older items to the front, use those first, no need of dates if we stick to that rule.....simples!!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 March 2016, 09:25,
Mary what we do is right the date and what is in the tin on the lid if its the type of tin with a paper label that could fade or fall off, We also have the cupboard for the tins has its shelves slightly angled so when we take a take out the ones behind roll forward, it helps keeps the contents mixed up. We refill from the back.

14 March 2016, 10:53,
I used to do this ,now I just feel the tins if they have bulged at the top ,they get thrown,I have and are eatting beans , tined meat, custard ,not in the same bowl ,that are two years out of date , tinned food lasts a hell of a lot longer than that date on the top
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
14 March 2016, 13:01,
I'm more like Barny in this respect, I don't bother noting the expiry date, I don't even rotate!!

But then I do not really eat much tinned food. Tins are purely there as a back up, I keep adding to them and damaged/bulging ones will be binned (not that I've had any), otherwise I'll just keep them irrespective of the expiry date and then make a decision when (if) I ever open them.
14 March 2016, 16:25,
quite so Dev, fresh is best, too much processed food not good for us-and all tinned food is processed to some extent.
I guess we personally use about 2 or 3 tins per week maximum, which is why our stores will last us a long time, especially with a weekly market literally on our doorstep!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 March 2016, 17:54,
We have a shelf position and date system , the lower it is the more date sensitive it is ....lower is used first ....i am talking tins here....trouble is we do not eat that much out of tins...in fact it would be impossible for us to eat it all, after all i am stocking to cover fifteen souls.....over a period of twelve months ...so i always knew i would be throwing out more than could be eaten in a normal world, however dried food, grains,beans,lentils,rice,and peas are stored inside Mylar bags sealed and then into plastic sealed containers...date packed and description are marked on each bin/container, like Barney we are eating right Now ....baked beans, spaghetti , peas and corned beef 2 and even 3 year out of date FACT ! but i have thrown out a fair bit as well, just by look of condition or smell, just like we used to years ago!!! .

I am due a full blown inspection within the next few weeks, i will give you a full account of my findings then ...this will include ALL food preps... i have said many times ...i have made lots of mistakes , stack it up and forget it till you need it...is not the way to go ....soon found that out, YOU MUST CHECK your food preps.....Minimum every 3 months to play it safe, if you find anything wrong or some make or food type not fairing well you have a chance to put right what ever is wrong or change all together , if you see say tin fruit does not last that well , either eat it , of feed it to your animals before it spoils.

The big positive for us , after going through this laborious activity is the knowledge we gain and what works best...so turn a necessity to our advantage.
14 March 2016, 20:17,
(14 March 2016, 17:54)Straight Shooter Wrote: We have a shelf position and date system , the lower it is the more date sensitive it is ....lower is used first ....i am talking tins here....trouble is we do not eat that much out of tins...in fact it would be impossible for us to eat it all, after all i am stocking to cover fifteen souls.....over a period of twelve months ...so i always knew i would be throwing out more than could be eaten in a normal world, however dried food, grains,beans,lentils,rice,and peas are stored inside Mylar bags sealed and then into plastic sealed containers...date packed and description are marked on each bin/container, like Barney we are eating right Now ....baked beans, spaghetti , peas and corned beef 2 and even 3 year out of date FACT ! but i have thrown out a fair bit as well, just by look of condition or smell, just like we used to years ago!!! .

I am due a full blown inspection within the next few weeks, i will give you a full account of my findings then ...this will include ALL food preps... i have said many times ...i have made lots of mistakes , stack it up and forget it till you need it...is not the way to go ....soon found that out, YOU MUST CHECK your food preps.....Minimum every 3 months to play it safe, if you find anything wrong or some make or food type not fairing well you have a chance to put right what ever is wrong or change all together , if you see say tin fruit does not last that well , either eat it , of feed it to your animals before it spoils.

The big positive for us , after going through this laborious activity is the knowledge we gain and what works best...so turn a necessity to our advantage.

SS, when you do you quarterly food checks, don't just throw out tins if they are past their BBE or UBD, if the tins are not damaged, just keep them, the nutritional value may deteriorate (slowly) over time, but the food does not simply ruin it can stay edible for years/decades, so just hang on to them.

When you open an "old" tin/can, just use your eyes and nose to see if it is off, in the unlikely event it is, just bin it, but otherwise, you will at least be building up a much larger food reserve for the future, well at least that is the way I view it Wink
14 March 2016, 21:03,
I don't bin anything. Every six months I make a bulk buy of everything I eat. Some of my tins are old but I can always feed them to the animals if I don't like the taste myself. The only problem with this is the preppers nightmare. Space.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin