Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wardrobe Redesign
17 January 2012, 13:57, (This post was last modified: 17 January 2012, 14:00 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: Wardrobe Redesign
(17 January 2012, 13:11)Scythe13 Wrote: Thank you NR.

What's the difference between normal pants and tactical pants?

Heavier cotton cloth usually with more poly watsit added to the weave, re-enfored knees, bums,hems and cuffs, double or triple stitching, rip stop cloth, wider 50 mm belt loops sometimes, water resistant very often, non iron very often, designed so some pockets are concealled or still lay flat even when full of gear, sometimes with cordura added for strength, sometimes coated to not smell if unwashed for weeks, Canadian slotted buttons instead of cotton thread holes, blellows pockets with fold over tops. Specifically frequently the pockets are designed to carry spefic items of kit IE compass pocket, knife pocket, flashlight pocket, key hanger loop, double lined pistol pocket, magazine pocket etc. Most decent tactical gear will probably have government or NATO approved specifications and have been severely tested by elite units, upgrades suggested, retested then accepted for official issue.
IE tough clothing designed to do a heavy duty job far longer than civvy clothing will, in many cases for example the cotton thread is up to 5 times stronger than ordinary sewing thread, the cloth may be IR reflectiove or water resistant, it certainly will be treated against mildew etc

17 January 2012, 14:04,
Looks like I'll be buying some proper tactical clothing. More specifically, trousers.

What companies do you recommend?

I've heard of 5.11 before. Anyone else I should check out?
17 January 2012, 14:09,
(17 January 2012, 14:04)Scythe13 Wrote: Looks like I'll be buying some proper tactical clothing. More specifically, trousers.

5.11, blackhawke, scottevest - check out heinnie hayes or ee33.com
17 January 2012, 14:11,
(17 January 2012, 14:04)Scythe13 Wrote: Looks like I'll be buying some proper tactical clothing. More specifically, trousers.

My current favourites are my Craghopper Kiwis, about £24 a pair and ferking bullet proof

17 January 2012, 14:13,
(17 January 2012, 14:11)NorthernRaider Wrote:

My current favourites are my Craghopper Kiwis, about £24 a pair and ferking bullet proof

Costco are knocking them out for about £16 a pair.
17 January 2012, 14:18,
Okay guys,

I've got some ideas of what I'm going to get.

The SAS smuck smock, in black and another one in desert camo (because I think it looks good in both colours)

The trousers thing will be an ongoing issue, so I'm still open to suggestions.

Lets have some real fun now......

Boots!!!
17 January 2012, 14:23,
(17 January 2012, 14:18)Scythe13 Wrote: Okay guys,

Boots!!!

Urban = 8 .0 Magums nylon and leather, super silent.

Rural = Altbergs or Danner combats, both can be resoled and repaired and are like slippers

Shoes I like most of the better quality approach or fel shoes.

17 January 2012, 16:44,
Ah, boots. I've got:

Oakley SI Combat boots - very very comfortable, and have stood up to a lot of abuse (left outside in the rain over winter, been through rivers etc) - highly recommended.

Converse combat boots (side zip) - these are superb. Have to get them imported from the states now, but they have composit plastic toe cap, so can still wear them in clubs etc as don't set off metal detectors. Extremely comfortable, very hardwearing.

Goliath Goretex combat boots - waterproof, leather, very comfortable & durable. And they polish up well.

Addidad G2's - again, great boots, very very comfortable. Probably not suited for tabbing through the mud etc, but good grip, and slient. Have rubberised sides for fast roping (if that's your thing)

5.11 side zips. I liked these so much I got two pairs, black & desert. Again, great boots, very comfortable, and they have a little pocket on the side of the boot, right at the top on the padded part. I used to stash my sog micron in one and £20 in the other.Would definately buy another pair.

Karrimore combat boots - these aren't great to be honest, but they're very cheap. Side zip, but not very well made of very durable. They're used now for pissing around outside in the mud. Wouldn't bother with another pair.
17 January 2012, 16:47,
Thanks guys!

That's awesome.
17 January 2012, 16:59,
(17 January 2012, 16:47)Scythe13 Wrote: Thanks guys!

That's awesome.

No probs - with boots you get what you pay for. If they're cheap, it's for a good reason - they're probably not very well made.

You can get much better boots than the one's I've mentioned (Danner, Bates, Meindel etc). I won't spend more than £150 on a pair of boots (cause of the wife mainly) but the choice for that amount of money is great. They're very hard to find in shops though, so can't try them on. Polimil.co.uk is a good site for boots - but their stock levels are a bit dodgy, so email them first before spending any money with them, or you could be in for a long wait!

The SAS smock you're going to get, there's the cotton ones, and the goretex ones. I've got both, but my goretex one has no pockets - Didn't realise this til I got it home - right pain in the arse. The cotton ones are good - just get some of that waterproofing spray. I used the Jack Pyke one, seems to hold up okay so far. Do it outside though - I nearly gassed the wife out when I did it in the front room. Doh.