Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 Gallon Copper Kelly Kettle .
16 January 2012, 15:58,
5 Gallon Copper Kelly Kettle .
I have recently come into posession of what can only be described as a 5 gallon, copper kelly kettle. It sits on a tripod about a foot high and has a copper tap.
It was used by my girlfriends mum when she was a child in Zanzibar and was their only way of getting hot water .
I have tried it out a couple of times now and it can boil the 5 gallons in a couple of minutes when its internal fire is burning well.
You can't drink the water because the 'Kettle' no longer has a lining and it needs to be 'tinned?' ( I think that's right)
If I can work out how to upload a photo I'll put a couple on.

I was wondering if any one else has ways of heating a large amount of water, post SHTF?
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

16 January 2012, 16:19, (This post was last modified: 16 January 2012, 16:22 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: 5 Gallon Copper Kelly Kettle .
I was thinking about getting a gas powered Berco for boiling water, you see em in comunity centers across the country, a big aluminium drum with a lid, and tap. I already have lots of gas bottle for the portable fire etc so a Berco would be handy.
Oops wrong spelling BURCO not BERCO

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog...JIBEPICMAY#

16 January 2012, 21:33,
Sounds like a good piece of kit. Ive got a normal kelly kettle, but I can definately see the advantage of a big one for home use.

Even if you cant drink from it the ability to use it to make a bath, wash up would be great.. Probably quite cheap to get an aluminium one made up (or make it yourself if you know how)
16 May 2012, 19:21,
(16 January 2012, 15:58)Reality Jones Wrote: I have recently come into posession of what can only be described as a 5 gallon, copper kelly kettle. It sits on a tripod about a foot high and has a copper tap.
I have tried it out a couple of times now and it can boil the 5 gallons in a couple of minutes when its internal fire is burning well.
This sounds like a similar thing to a Volcano kettle, which is (if you havent already seen one)basicly a copper or aluminium cone in a cone forming a cylinder which holds the water an there is a filler hole an a spout for pouring an a open hole at the top for the chimney, an you build a small fire inside the cone and it takes just a sheet or two of newspaper(or whatever) to boil a kettle full (pint) of water or longer depending on the size of your kettle.

Good bit of kit.

Nothing endures but change ~Heraclitus