Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cleaning s/h water jerry cans
28 March 2016, 13:28,
Cleaning s/h water jerry cans
Just got 6 second hand ex army plastic water jerry cans what's the best way to clean and sterilize them?.
28 March 2016, 14:41,
RE: Cleaning s/h water jerry cans
New or used I often used to use Milton baby bottle steriliser liquid diluted to ensure they were sterile, others use bleached heavily diluted , some folks sterilise CLEAR or Translucent water containers by leaving them in bright sunlight for 3 days (empty). Now I just give them a very good rinse out and store them open t ensure they fully dry out.

28 March 2016, 15:53,
Unless I know their history exactly I use strong bleach to clear them out with and then rinse several times with fresh water ensuring they are left in a greenhouse or patio to fully dry out.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
28 March 2016, 22:46,
Check home brewing info - the techniques for sterilising brewing buckets will be OK.
8 April 2016, 10:18,
Yummy, squaddies have been pissing in those for years.

Clean it with fire Big Grin

To steralise them stick 10 Milton tablets in each one (nice and concentrated) and fill up with hot water. Leave for 24 hours and it should be good to go.

I've read a few different articles on these containers though (as I was offered a load at a very good price when I had my store open) and all state that you shouldn't really use them for drinking water unless you have literally no other options (probably cause many of them have been used as toilets previously)
9 April 2016, 22:35,
Slightly off topic but same train of thought, I am getting an Ibc to catch the rain water of the roof of my new workshop , have been offered various types with different specifications, i fancy black as opposed to clear/white, my thinking is to stop uv causing algae in the long term,is this a sound theory or will increased summer heat up create other problems? Also used ones that have had mustard paste in,yes or no?
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
9 April 2016, 22:42,
Pros and cons, Black stops UV light creating algae, but black heat up in the sun and can lead to anaerobic bacteria or black slime deposits, black ones often are used as dirty water container so need a good clean out, I cant remember the grades but you want the highest food grade containers. Personally I wuld go for white / translucent but even so I would cover it in a tarp anyway/

10 April 2016, 09:16,
Build a cover over it that allows plenty of air flow, a to shade it from the sun and b to reduce the heat effect during the summer.
10 April 2016, 11:54,
I hadn't considered black at all till it was offered, plan was clear/white food grade then use the steel frame to attach fence panneling to hide and protect it/ insulation to be pushed between the panel's in the winter months in the form of alluminum foil faced foam sheets, loose fitting u shaped top cover.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!