Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Knife recomendations
7 April 2016, 10:35,
New Knife recomendations
Having just discovered that my first choice, been worked to death, super tough and reliable 30+ years owned knife is quite collectable I'm thinking of retiring it in favour of a new one , just wondering what every body's go to favourite knife is and what you see as its strengths and weaknesses?
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
7 April 2016, 11:20,
RE: New Knife recomendations
Stainless Mora is main knife here

Very versatile, strong and keeps a god edge.

Mine's only around 5 years old but has taken a lot of punishment, and is going strong.

Its fixed blade so obviously not EDC.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

7 April 2016, 11:38,
I simply was unable to choose one EDC blade so I adopted the US habit of rotating EDC blades depending on how may day was planned and where I was going, My current GP EDC Randall RAT 2 its small thin and razor sharp but I tend to use something heavier like by Cold Steel Voyagers , or Blade Tech Hunter Lite , I do question the whole concept of only having 1 EDC blade at times, YES we all need an EDC blade but why does it have to be one particular make or model.

7 April 2016, 12:45,
Depends what you want it for mate, in the sticks I carry a MKII Khukri, bombproof, great blade and can be used for delicate as well as more sturdy applications. It is obviously a large blade so not for everyone. I use a Helle fjellkniven as my smaller blade and can only praise them. Beautifully made and very good Steel with a soft "core" and a harder edge.
If anyone is looking to buy a good Khukri made in Nepal by authentic "kami" then give Tora blades a look, they have a superb range and are the "real thing" not at all like those Khukri houses that advertise online. None of these blades are cheap, but they are well made and will last with the correct use and care.

https://torablades.com/shop/

http://www.helle.no/products/knives/fjellkniven/
7 April 2016, 12:46,
The Knife I'm wanting to retire is my outdoorsman/camping/adventure knife, not really got a preference with EDC as its just what happens to be in whatever coat pocket I'm wearing at the time which is usually victorinox or opinel plus one or two others in the mix.....am after a tough fixed blade of no more than 6 inches with a sturdy pommel and a good sheath(no hollow handles or built in gizmo's) BOB's and GHB are all equipped with various Mora's(I love em and think there unbeatable for the outlay)
7 April 2016, 12:51,
(7 April 2016, 12:46)Midnitemo Wrote: The Knife I'm wanting to retire is my outdoorsman/camping/adventure knife, not really got a preference with EDC as its just what happens to be in whatever coat pocket I'm wearing at the time which is usually victorinox or opinel plus one or two others in the mix.....am after a tough fixed blade of no more than 6 inches with a sturdy pommel and a good sheath(no hollow handles or built in gizmo's) BOB's and GHB are all equipped with various Mora's(I love em and think there unbeatable for the outlay)

Helle all the way mate, built to last by craftsmen and a thing of beauty.
7 April 2016, 13:43,
Just been and looked at the Helle range , like the Blajfell but it's a little over budget at £135.....hoping to come in under £100(that's my monthly prep budget)
7 April 2016, 13:58,
Other than a sturdy pommel, I would have thought the TBS Boar fulfils most of your requirements....
7 April 2016, 16:18,
I still use my AK 47 Bayonet for most duties.

7 April 2016, 16:24,
I only specced a sturdy pommel because I have previously had occasion to hit it with various heavy blunt objects whilst splitting wood , current knife shows barely any sign's of this occasional abuse, don't make a habit of it but I can't guarantee I won't need to do it again , this task usually falls to my kukri but that's not always on me.