Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Knife recomendations
8 April 2016, 01:41,
RE: New Knife recomendations
The aircrew survival knife you have is still current issue and well liked. Current contractor is Ontario. They are readily available in the states and affordable. Best Glide ASE carries the genuine NSN item and can ship to UK.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
8 April 2016, 03:12,
http://www.bestglide.com/AF_Survival_Knife_Info.html

Air Force Survival Knife #499
Ontario Knife Company
NSN 7340-00-098-4327

Used extensively by the U.S. Army and the U.S. Air Force, the Air Force 499 Survival Knife is the standard against which other survival knives are measured. The 499 Air Force Survival Knife is made of carbon steel with a dull, rust resistant "Parkerized" finish. A leather handle with deep grooves on the Air Force Survival Knife provides a good grip surface even when your hand is slippery. The saw teeth on the spine of the blade make short work of making piles of magnesium shavings off the Doan Machinery Corp. fire starting tool for fire starting and are also effective in cutting through sheet metal or Plexiglas canopy.

The butt end of the Air Force Survival Knife is made of steel so that it can be used for hammering and the cross guard has two holes in it, which enable you to tether the knife to your survival vest or raft to prevent loss, as well as to construct a spear for protection and food gathering. The overall length of the Air Force Survival Knife is 9-1/2" with a blade length of 5". The sheath is leather with a belt loop and numerous holes which allow you to tie it down to just about anything and in just about any position.

The Ontario Knife Company Air Force Survival Knife also has a metal reinforcing plate at the tip end and a pouch equipped with a sharpening stone. This is definitely a piece of no frills, inexpensive, survival grade gear!

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
8 April 2016, 07:06,
That's it just not parkerised and the leather handle is rougher on the new one....that may be the answer just buy a new version of my Vietnam era one.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
8 April 2016, 11:15,
(7 April 2016, 20:07)CharlesHarris Wrote: The Moras are study and affordable. I have several and agree that they are a great buy for the money. I would rather have a half dozen Moras stashed everywhere than to have one expensive Wonder Knife and have to think about where it is or worry about losing it.

EDC is a Mil-K-818 utility folding pocket knife, all metal "Boy Scout" pattern, which is the common US issue. http://kintlalake.blogspot.com/2009/04/s...-818d.html
That is a valid point Charles but I take the long view that a well made blade will last and that £100 price tag equates to a lifetime of service if looked after, and the joy of an individual blade that isn't run of the mill is also important. After a decade of use that £100 blade has cost you a Tenner a year! not a bad return really.
8 April 2016, 18:24,
TH,

I cannot fault your logic either. But I must confess that the Loveless chute knife I once owned, was sold promptly once I realized it was a valuable cult icon. The proceeds paid for a semester's tuition at Virginia Tech and I don't miss the knife, not having jumped out of a perfectly good airplane since...

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
10 April 2016, 11:06, (This post was last modified: 10 April 2016, 11:08 by Skean Dhude.)
I have a few different knives and love them all. I have my eye on a Jagdkommando Knife now.

I have a few expensive knives but I never use them. I can't bring myself to risk damaging the blades working while I have access to so many disposable tools.

My favourite knife is a Blackie Collins folder. I carried that all the time up to a few years ago when I started travelling to London regularly. The Stasi don't like it and I couldn't risk it.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
10 April 2016, 11:47,
Wow that's some knife,what's the thinking behind the twist? seems more like a spike , how does it lock in the sheath? I noticed what looks like a rubber o ring at the base of the grip, what's. That for? tis a lot of cash!
10 April 2016, 19:38,
It is for killing things pure and simple. The twist makes the cut rotate, even if you are not rotating the knife and it is like taking the core from an apple. You are unable to just put your hands over the wound and slow the bleeding as the arteries and veins have a bit cut out of them. The design of this is to ensure that whatever gets stabbed by this bleeds out quickly.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
10 April 2016, 20:32,
I'm not convinced for $750/£500 ish , it's a snazzy looker but i'm not convinced its a workable knife , hollow handle (i've broken one and seen others which have failed)not sure it will defeat thick winter clothing without a super human effort , screw in scabbard? that's only going to work if you're on the offensive , as a pure killing tool a fairbairn sykes has a lot to offer for under £50 , if you feel it's too spindly and narrow focused get an Applegate (boker do a nice modern take for about £100)
11 April 2016, 09:31,
I think it is impractical for me. I have other things to spend my cash on.

Although its not quite £500 but its close at £350 it is still expensive. As you say it has many disadvantages. I doubt if I will get one simply because I like the look of it due to the cost and its limited use. If I ever get £350 spare then I may add it to my collection.
Skean Dhude