Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Knife recomendations
17 April 2016, 18:55,
RE: New Knife recomendations
(8 April 2016, 07:06)Midnitemo Wrote: That's it just not parkerised and the leather handle is rougher on the new one....that may be the answer just buy a new version of my Vietnam era one.

The USAF survival trains each and every aircrew member before assigning them to a plane.

They operate the oldest and longest running survival school in the world, training 6,000+ individuals annually. Two week course with one week in the bush.

Since its approval in 1958 the Air Force Jet Pilot Survival Knife has been issued to each and every student going through that course. That is a total of over 300,000 soldiers that have been trained for survival using that specific blade.

The blade is made from 1095 carbon steel, just like the K-bar, the RAT series, the Mora and a host of other highly regarded knives.

It has been changed only once in its term of service. The blade was SHORTENED from 6" to 5". That was done at the request of the trainers at the school.

Under the ejection seat of every plane equipped with such there is a survival kit that contains one of these knives in the contents. Almost all the Navy aircraft also include the blade as do many of the helicopters in service. That totals thousands of blades.

It was the most popular military blade carried in Southeast Asia, meaning that thousands and thousands of the blades were carried for daily use in full on SHTF situations.

Most other blades are "proposed" to be survival knives, the JPSK IS a survival knife, designed by survival teachers and used by survival students, by pilots that have ejected from aircraft, by soldiers on the ground and by bushcrafters that get their gear at the surplus store for more than 60 years, and changed only once in that time.

You can have that, or you can have a twisted railroad spike, its your money.
17 April 2016, 21:09,
Actually the Rhodesia army was providing survival training after WW1 and the Brits started doing Jungle Survival training during WW2

17 April 2016, 21:21,
US Marine Recon troops also did survival training in 1940s alongside the Royal Marines as well according to this book extract section 4 training.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Mzdl...ng&f=false

18 April 2016, 15:57,
Are they still using the same knife after 60 years?

Is it the most used survival knife in modern history?

Did you actually go fact checking the age of units giving survival training in WW1 and WW2 in a desperate attempt to find something, anything, wrong with another person's post ?
18 April 2016, 16:41,
1 Who knows
2 I think the Swiss army knife has greater circulation
3 No

18 April 2016, 16:45,
Oh and dont hold me to it but I think I read on one of the Knife Collectors site that the AK 47/74 / Variants Survival knife/ bayonet/ wire cutter doofah outnumbers the three types of USMC blade by a big number, but if i'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct us.

18 April 2016, 17:56,
The current issue Ontario Aircrew Knife is the same one I was issued in the US Navy in the 1970s. Marine aviators still carry the larger K-Bar, but Navy, Army and Air Force aircrews carry the shorter 5" knife, which has been in continuous issue since the early 1960s. Summing the numbers issued, those sold in military post exchanges and otherwise the total out there must be over a million. Probably not as plentiful worldwide as the AK bayonet-wire cutter, but in IMHO more useful in the bush and certainly a strong runner up for second place.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
18 April 2016, 19:25,
Both are pretty damn good blades with a great heritage, I like the MOD Survival knife its a good piece of kit in general, its not been around as long or has the same pedigree as the K-bar, I had one when I was in the army but I dont have one now, my current heavy blade is the AK 47 Bayonet combo but I reprofilled the blade from chisel edge to 22 degree V edge.

18 April 2016, 20:49,
I bought my knife as a teenager , had no idea of the pedigree, it just looked like it would do a good job and boy has it , was issued the MOD survival knife but I prefered my Camillus , twas smaller , held a better edge ,gripped better and the point was great for opening tin's , no crossguard on the MOD knife either,saved me a few times working with frozen wet hands.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
21 April 2016, 11:53,
Continuing the knife thread I'm interested to know if any of you use different sharpening levels for blades. For instance my sheath knives are kept razor sharp, whereas my Khukri is paper cutting sharp, my hand Axe is also kept razor sharp, but my "Wood" Axe is not honed to such sharpness. The reason I ask is that I've learnt over the years that not every blade you posses has to be razor sharp, and that keeping the wrong edge profile can damage a blade. When I first bought my MKII Khukri it came with what I considered to be a poor edge profile, and a less than ideal sharpness. I re profiled the edge to a taper and honed it to lift hair, after all we all know that Khukris are supposed to be razor sharp aren't they? ----Big mistake!!
I use the Khukri to cut arrows out of trees when on those rare ocassions I miss--cough---cough. From a 60lb Mongol Bow they penetrate a couple of inches and I needed a sturdy blade. The first time I used the Khukri on such a task the blade edge became damaged and the very end of the tip broke off!! the edge was simply too fine to handle the work I was asking of it. I re-filed the tip and edge profile to paper cutting sharp and have had no problems since.